{meta} Agenda for North Central Area JPC on Monday 20th January, 2020, 11.30 am

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Conference Room - Northside Civic Centre. View directions

No. Item


Minutes of meeting held on 21st October 2019 pdf icon PDF 565 KB




Garda Report's - Chief Superintendent Mark Curran, Superintendent Gerry Donnelly, Inspector Kathy O'Neill (for Joe O'Connor) and Inspector Martha Francis.


Order:  An Garda Síochána discussed the statistics for DMR North.


Chief Superintendent Mark Curran spoke regarding the recent murder at Moatview.  The Coolock District has been prioritised for extra resources and these are due on the 20th of February, this will consist of 4 Sergeants and 20 Gardaí.  Cllr O’Toole pleased to here that more resources are being provided, as Coolock needs special resources as in the NEIC,   Cllr Lyons requested more checkpoints in the area.

Superintendent Gerry Donnelly spoke regarding the Statistics for the Coolock area. The Late Night Soccer Leagues in Darndale have been very popular, a significant number of teenagers 16/17 year olds are participating.  It is very encouraging to see them playing and interacting with the  guards.  Cllr Batten asked can something more severe be done to address the serious criminal activity.    Superintendent Gerry Donnelly advised that the proper approach is in place  -  visibility and interaction.  There is a lot more visibility of Garda within the community,  there is an increase in the deployment of armed resources, there are a lot of covert operations in place.   Superintendent Gerry Donnelly also advised they are looking at setting up a programme in small policing areas like the one that was run in the inner city.  Cllr stocker and Cllr Brabazon spoke regarding the increase in burglaries in the Clare Hall area and that it can take 6 to 7 hours for the guards to respond to burglaries. Superintendent advised if there are concerns to contact Sergeant  Dan Creedan  directly by e-mail at  daniel.creedon@garda.ie.

 Cllr Gilliand spoke regarding the positive effect the policing plan in Darndale has had on the area.  Cllrs requested that the Midnight Soccer Leagues to continue, Garda Louise Byrne can be contacted when back from from leave regarding this request @ louise.m.burns@garda.ie.

 Coilín O’Reilly spoke regarding a new anti-social policy which will be implemented into Dublin City Council later in the year.  This anti-social policy will help make the Council become more pro-active in relation to anti-social activity and resume some significant  evictions next year.    Superintendent Gerry Donnelly spoke regarding how drug offences are affecting Garda resources; Chief Superintendent Mark Curran advised that on a macro level it is the regular users of cocaine who are driving the demand for it, need to educate and change people’s behaviour.   Sergeant Monaghan discussed “Case Management” with regards to Juvenile offences.    Coolock has 2 full time Juvenile  Officers and Swords has 1.


Inspector Sínead Greene spoke regarding the statistics for the Raheny/Clontarf area.  The policing unit are working on an Older Persons Strategy.  Cllrs requested more Gardaí to patrol dart stations and asked how this patrolling works.  Inspector Sinead Greene advised 2 Gardaí patrol the Howth to Bray dart route.  This came into effect on the 2nd December and is patrolled by two plain Garda for ten hours a day.  Elaine Mulvenny advised Solar Panels will be put in at Kilbarrack Dart Station to make it safer for people getting to and from the  ...  view the full minutes text for item 2.


Divisional Policing Model Plan:


Order:Chief Superintendent Mark Curran discussed the replacement of the current district model of policing with a divisional model where responsibilities will be allocated on a functional rather than geographical basis, subject to modifications to ensure the close relationship with communities is maintained. This will be a different approach to policing, to look at the structure and come up with the best way to deliver this plan.  Superintendents will have responsibility for community engagement and governance in conjunction with an Assistant Principal who will look after HR and finance.  Inspectors will be charged with looking at what goes on locally, this will enable Superintendents to get away from unnecessary time consuming work.  There is still a bit to go, as there are still some items which need to be teased out.    This is currently being piloted in south city centre and seems to be running well. 

Chief Superintendent Mark Curran advised that around an additional 80/90 Garda are required in the Coolock Division.



Animal Welfare Report:


Order: Coilín O’Reilly discussed the report that was circulated prior to the meeting on Animal Welfare.  Dublin City Council had a vet service for 30 years but that service has ceased.  Superintendent Gerry Donnelly advised An Garda Siochana have no budget with regards to Animal Welfare.



Any Other Business and Further Items:

Next meeting Monday 20th April 2020


Coilin O’Reilly

Director of Services – North City   



Next meeting Monday 20th April 2020, 11.30am.




Coilin O’Reilly

Director of Services – North City              



Councillor Tom Brabazon


20th January 2020