{meta} Agenda for Special Council Meeting on Monday 8th February, 2021, 6.15 pm

Agenda and minutes

Venue: BY REMOTE VIDEO CONFERENCING VIA - ZOOM. View directions

Items
No. Item

1.

Under Schedule 10 of the local government act 2001 Section 6-1(C), the undersigned members request a Special Meeting of Dublin City Council to discuss the following issue: Traveller Specific Accommodation. pdf icon PDF 250 KB

Cllr. Anthony Flynn, Cllr. Hazel de Nortúin, Cllr. Cieran Perry, Cllr. Sophie Nicoullaud, Cllr. Christy Burke, Cllr. Tina McVeigh. Cllr. Noeleen O' Reilly, Cllr. Vincent Jackson, Cllr. John Lyons, Cllr. Pat Dunne, Cllr. Janice Boylan, Cllr. Daniel Céitinn, Cllr. Anthony Connaghan, Cllr. Máire Devine, Cllr. Daithí Doolan, Cllr. Micheál MacDonncha, Cllr. Séamas McGrattan, Cllr. Larry O'Toole

Minutes:

Cllr. Anthony Flynn, Cllr. Hazel de Nortúin, Cllr. Cieran Perry, Cllr. Sophie Nicoullaud, Cllr. Christy Burke, Cllr. Tina McVeigh. Cllr. Noeleen O' Reilly, Cllr. Vincent Jackson, Cllr. John Lyons, Cllr. Pat Dunne, Cllr. Janice Boylan, Cllr. Daniel Céitinn, Cllr. Anthony Connaghan, Cllr. Máire Devine, Cllr. Daithí Doolan, Cllr. Micheál MacDonncha, Cllr. Séamas McGrattan, Cllr. Larry O'Toole.

 

The Lord Mayor opened the meeting by giving a brief update on her commitments in relation to the Emergency Motions that were agreed at the January and February Council meetings.

 

She thanked Cllrs Hazel de Nortúin, Anthony Flynn and all the other signatories to the request for a Special Meeting on Traveller Specific Accommodation for bringing this issue before the Council. The Lord Mayor also extended her appreciation to the Members and officials for giving their time to discuss what everyone acknowledges is a very important matter.  

 

The Lord Mayor invited Cllr. Hazel de Nortúin to open proceedings by giving an overview of main issues facing the City Council in the provision of Traveller Specific Accommodation.

 

Cllr. De Nortúin informed members that the request for this meeting was due to the widespread view among Councillors, members of the Local Traveller Accommodation Consultative Committee (LTACC) and other groups working in this area that there has been an under delivery of Traveller Specific accommodation in Dublin and across the country nationally over the past several years. The focus of this meeting is to raise awareness of the issue and generate momentum in terms of resolving many of the outstanding obstacles in the provision of Traveller accommodation.

 

The Lord Mayor invited Assistant Chief Executive with responsibility for Housing, Brendan Kenny, to address the members in relation to the report circulated with the agenda and the issue of Traveller Specific Accommodation in general.

 

Mr. Kenny welcomed the opportunity to hear the views of the elected members on this complex issue. He shared their frustration and acknowledged the need for the City Council to do more in this area. He would take on board any recommendations proposed in the course of tonight’s meeting and confirmed that the City Council would do everything in its powers to make progress in the delivery of Traveller Accommodation.

 

Councillors made submissions in relation to the creation of a specific Strategic Policy Committee to progress Traveller accommodation as well interim changes to the status of the LTACC to give it a more formal standing.

 

The Manager confirmed that the decision to establish a SPC to deal with Traveller Accommodation was one for National Government rather than the Local authority. However, he was not convinced by the argument that such a SPC would address the problems associated with the sector. The LTACC functioned in a similar way to an SPC and was dedicated to progressing the delivery of Traveller accommodation. However, he took on board the Members comments and would take whatever ever actions were necessary to improve the functionality of the LTACC in terms of its accountability and transparency including the holding of  ...  view the full minutes text for item 1.

Recorded Vote
TitleTypeRecorded Vote textResult
Vote No. 1: Ad-Hoc Drawn
  • View Recorded Vote for this item