{meta} Agenda for Arts, Culture, Leisure & Recreation SPC on Monday 21st January, 2019, 9.30 am

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Council Chamber, City Hall, Dame Street, Dublin 2.. View directions

Contact: Paula Ebbs  T 222 7855

Items
No. Item

1.

Minutes of meeting held on 26th November 2018 pdf icon PDF 200 KB

Minutes:

 

Action:  Agreed

 

2.

Dublin City Local Economic and Community Plan 2016 - 2021 (LECP) - Jackie O'Reilly, Administrative Officer pdf icon PDF 644 KB

Minutes:

Action: Noted.

 

3.

Progress report on the Welfare of Horses - Patricia Colfer, Administrative Officer pdf icon PDF 144 KB

Minutes:

Action: Noted

 

4.

Report on the Implementation of the Culture Strategy - Ray Yeates, City Arts Officer pdf icon PDF 237 KB

Minutes:

Action: Noted.

 

5.

Update on the New City Library at Parnell Square - Brendan Teeling, City Library (Acting) pdf icon PDF 108 KB

Minutes:

Cllr Kelly requested an update on Kennedy Wilsons position re staff member to be engaged to raise funds towards the project..

 

Action: Management to follow up.

 

6.

Velo City Cultural Programme Update - Ray Yeates, City Arts Officer pdf icon PDF 128 KB

Minutes:

Action: Noted.

 

7.

Management Update pdf icon PDF 4 MB

Minutes:

Members commended the staff and work of the growing number of festivals organised in the City.

 

Cllr O’Farrell requested a report on the Dublin Bay UNESCO Biosphere Discovery Centre regarding the specifications that were given to Howley Hayes Architects and in particular to address the height of the building.

 

Action: Bring report to the next meeting.

 

Management to follow up on creating a “hang out space” with more wi-fi spots for teenagers.

 

Action:  The Manager stated he would request Smart Cities to look at this and perhaps run a pilot project in one location in each of the 5 areas.

 

Issues regarding the removal of bins in parks and dog fowling were raised.

The Manager informed members that some of the bins have and will be replaced.

 

Members were informed the Luke Kelly statues will be unveiled on 30th January 2019 by the President of Ireland.  The first statue will be unveiled at 2.00 p.m. on South King Street.  The second statue will be unveiled at 3.30 – 4.00 p.m. on Guild Street.  There will be refreshments in the Laurence O’Toole Community Centre afterwards and a concert will take place later that evening in Liberty Hall.

 

Gerry Kerr commented that he did not feel some management initiatives were adequately communicated and requested that more resources be put into Smart Cities / digital communications across the various areas.

 

Gerry also informed members that for St. Patrick’s Day Festival there will be 270 wheelchair accessible spots. Members were also informed that a new mobile toilet / changing area “changing places” for people with various disabilities will be installed in major locations around the city.

 

The Chair commended Gerry Kerr on his input to this Committee in particularly raising awareness on disability issues.

            Management addressed all other issues raised.

 

8.

Approved minutes of the Commemorations sub-Committee Meeting dated 26th September 2018 pdf icon PDF 99 KB

Minutes:

Action: Noted.

 

9.

Approved minutes of the Commemorative Naming Committee Meeting dated 26th September 2018 pdf icon PDF 183 KB

Minutes:

Action: Noted

 

10.

Approved Minutes of the Arts and Cultural Advisory Group Meeting dated 16th October 2918 pdf icon PDF 233 KB

Minutes:

Action: Noted

 

11.

Approved Minutes of the Dublin City Sports and Wellbeing Partnership Advisory Board Meeting dated 22nd October 2018 pdf icon PDF 470 KB

Minutes:

Action: Noted

 

12.

Breviate of Draft Minutes of the Commemorations Sub-Committee Meeting dated 22nd November 2018 pdf icon PDF 161 KB

Minutes:

Action: Noted

 

13.

Breviate of Draft Minutes of the Commemorative Naming Committee Meeting dated 22nd November 2018 pdf icon PDF 261 KB

Minutes:

Action: Noted

 

14.

A.O.B.

Minutes:

Conor McQuillan stated that the suggestion of running a pilot autonomous bus to Bull Island should run along the causeway road and the wooden bridge out to the Island and not from the City Centre as previously minuted.

 

Action:  Noted.

 

Cllr Clancy mentioned the statue to Our Lady at the end of the Bull Wall that needs to be re-tiled.

 

Cllr Freehill raised a concern over a proposed 6 storey building which is directly opposite Terenure Library.

           

            Action: Management will follow up with City Architects.