{meta} Agenda for North Central Area Committee on Monday 21st June, 2021, 2.00 pm

Agenda and minutes

Venue: BY REMOTE VIDEO CONFERENCING VIA - ZOOM. View directions

Items
No. Item

1.

Minutes of North Central Area Committee meeting held on Monday 17th May, 2021 pdf icon PDF 1 MB

(attached)

Minutes:

Order: Agreed.

 

2.

Questions to the Area Manager pdf icon PDF 385 KB

(report herewith)

Minutes:

Order: Noted.

3.

Area Matters

3a

With reference to Part 8 Planning and Development Regulations 2001, Proposed Development at Glin Court, Dublin 17. pdf icon PDF 650 KB

(report herewith)

Minutes:

Order: Noted.

3b

Discussion on behaviour around Cycle Ways

(Antonia Martin/Deirdre Kelly)

Minutes:

Order:  The Manager and senior management will meet with the Traffic Department and look at the five pinch points identified re innovative signage for the short-term and will report back next month with update.  Antonia Martin to refer Councillors questions and revert with responses to NCA.

 

3c

Water Safety Report pdf icon PDF 105 KB

GerCarthy (report herewith)

Minutes:

Order:  Ger Carty has agreed to meet various representatives regarding concerns over lifeguards, water safety issues, jet ski’s etc.

 

3d

Ray Yeates - Creative Place Awards pdf icon PDF 111 KB

(for noting)

Minutes:

Order:  Noted.  The NCAC commended Sphere 17 and the Arts Officer on their recent success.

 

3e

Grass Cutting Contract

Fergus O’Carroll (verbal update)

Minutes:

Order:  Grass Cutting Contract to be circulated to the NCA.

 

3f

With reference to the proposed disposal of a plot to the rear of No. 12 Croydon Green, Marino, Dublin 3. pdf icon PDF 259 KB

(report herewith)

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Order:  Agreed. Refer to City Council.

 

3g

With reference to the proposed grant of Lease of the premises known as 2 Sybil Hill Road (ground floor), Raheny, Dublin 5 to Northside Home Care Services CLG pdf icon PDF 132 KB

(report herewith)

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Order:  Agreed. Refer to City Council.

 

 

3h

With reference to the proposed grant of a licence of the premises at The Red Stables, St Anne's Park to Olive's Room Limited pdf icon PDF 227 KB

(report herewith)

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Order:  Agreed subject to the proviso that there is equal rights to the use of the WC for staff in Olive’s Room, Parks staff and general park users. Refer to City Council.

 

 

3i

With reference to the proposed Extinguishment of Public Right of Way over the laneway at 17-32 Castilla Park, Clontarf, Dublin 3 pdf icon PDF 201 KB

(report herewith)

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Order: Agreed. Refer to City Council.

 

 

3j

With reference to the proposed Extinguishment of Public Right of Way over a walkway/desire line across a site at Coolock Lane, Dublin 17 (Site otherwise known as the Oscar Traynor Road Development Site) pdf icon PDF 202 KB

(report herewith)

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Order: Agreed.

 

 

3k

With reference to a proposal to initiate the procedure for the Extinguishment of the Public Right of Way over a section of laneway located at 14-42 The Rise, 2-12A & 33 Hampstead Park, Glasnevin, Dublin 9 pdf icon PDF 972 KB

(report herewith)

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Order:  Agreed.

 

 

3l

Naming & Numbering Proposal for a new residential development adjacent to Omni Park Shopping Centre, Swords Road, Santry, Dublin 9. Morton Place, Swords Road, Santry, Dublin 9. Plás an Mhúrtúnaigh, Bóthar Shoird, Seantrabh, Baile Átha Cliath 9 pdf icon PDF 205 KB

(report herewith)

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Order: Not agreed.  NCAC want us to back to the Developer to come up with a new name.

 

3m

Naming & Numbering Proposal for a new residential development on a site at 14-17Newtown, Malahide Road, Dublin 17Planning Reference: SHD0026/19 & ABP Ref:305943-19 - Condition 17Heatly Place & De Verdon Place, Malahide Road, D17 pdf icon PDF 517 KB

Naming & Numbering Proposal for a new residential development on a site at 14-17Newtown, Malahide Road, Dublin 17Planning Reference: SHD0026/19 & ABP Ref:305943-19 - Condition 17Heatly Place & De Verdon Place, Malahide Road, D17

 (report herewith)

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Order: Agreed. Refer to City Council. Cllr. Gilliland requested that going forward we ensure DCC staff make a better effort to link in with Women from a historic point of view.

 

 

3n

Initiation of the Statutory Process for the Proposed Addition of Beaumont Convent, The Park, Beaumont Woods, Dublin 9, to the Record of Protected Structures in accordance with Section 54 and 55 of the Planning and Development Act, 2000 (as amended). pdf icon PDF 572 KB

John Beattie/ Sarah-Jane Halpin (report herewith)

 

Minutes:

Order: Agreed. Refer to City Council.

 

 

3o

Initiation of the Statutory Process for the Proposed Addition of the Northern Gateway, Casino, Marino, Dublin 3, to the Record of Protected Structures in accordance with Section 54 and 55 of the Planning and Development Act, 2000 (as amended). pdf icon PDF 718 KB

John Beattie/ Sarah-Jane Halpin (report herewith)

 

Minutes:

Order:  Agreed. Refer to City Council.

 

 

3p

Initiation of the Statutory Process for the Proposed Addition of two surviving sections of former demesne wall, St. Vincent's GAA Club, Malahide Road, Marino, Dublin 3, to the Record of Protected Structures in accordance with Section 54 and 55 of the Planning and Development Act, 2000 (as amended). pdf icon PDF 1 MB

John Beattie/ Sarah-Jane Halpin (report herewith)

 

Minutes:

Order:  Agreed. Refer to City Council.

 

 

3q

Housing Supply Report pdf icon PDF 847 KB

(report herewith)

 

Minutes:

Order: Cllr. John Lyons wants confirmation from officials that the Glenveagh Proposal will not be raised again.

 

 

3r

Sports and Wellbeing Partnership Report pdf icon PDF 527 KB

(report herewith)

Minutes:

Order: Noted.  Cllr Cooney requested that the Pilot Project Women Cycling in East Wall will be rolled out by DCC Cycling officer particularly for younger kids.

Swimming in Clontarf Baths – is there availability.

Sport and Wellbeing Partnership to attend next meeting.

 

4.

Roads and Streets Matters

4a

Minutes of the TAG held on the 25th May, 2021 pdf icon PDF 797 KB

(report herewith)

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Order:  Noted.

The Manager to get back to Cllr. Cooney when results of the Kincora Road Speeding Survey are available.

5.

Items for following meeting

Minutes:

Griffith Ave Cycle Lane

Update on all Cycle Tracks for NCA

Sports and Wellbeing Partnership Representative to attend July meeting

Report on Community Facilities and open space for Kilmore Area

Richmond Road

Ray Yeates Arts Officer

6.

Motions

6a

Motion in the name of Councillor John Lyons

That this council expresses support to explore other uses of the underpass site located across from Northside Shopping Centre, such as a playground, skatepark or other much needed community facilities.

 

Minutes:

That this council expresses support to explore other uses of the underpass site located across from Northside Shopping Centre, such as a playground, skatepark or other much needed community facilities.

 

 

Reply

 

The underpass site at the junction of Kilmore Road and Oscar Traynor Road opposite the Northside shopping centre is zoned Z4 ‘District Centre’ in the Dublin City Development Plan 2016-2022.  The Z4 zoning objective seeks to provide for and improve mixed-services facilities.  Residential is a permissible use under the Z4 zoning objective. It is noted that there are substantial areas of public open space in the vicinity including the Z9 ‘open space’ lands on the opposite side of Kilmore Road and lands adjacent to the Santry river which would could potentially accommodate additional recreational facilities. 

 

Contact:           Bryan Ward, Senior Planner

Tel:                  222 6169

Email:              bryan.ward@dublincity.ie

 

 

The Housing and Community Services Department is looking at this site with regards the possibility of delivering public housing.

 

Contact:           Darach O’Connor

Tel:                  086 8150528

Email:              darach.oconnor@dublincity.ie

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Karl Mitchell

Acting Executive Manager /Director of Services         

North City

 

Order:  The Manager will do some background work on what is available and what options we have.  Discuss with Housing, arrange a follow up meeting.

6b

Motion in the name of Councillor Damian O'Farrell

That this local area committee who last month agreed that ‘all day’ paid car parking would cease at the Hollybrook Road car park at Clontarf Promenade Park in the interests of park users, joggers, walkers, fitness enthusiasts, dog walkers and local businesses now call on DCC to further utilise this Hollybrook Road car parking space by introducing ‘max three hour’ parking only.  This is the case with the Vernon Ave car park.  This uniformity of car parking at Clontarf Promenade Park will create further opportunities / space for our amenity to be enjoyed by park users.

 

Minutes:

That this local area committee who last month agreed that ‘all day’ paid car parking would cease at the Hollybrook Road car park at Clontarf Promenade Park in the interests of park users, joggers, walkers, fitness enthusiasts, dog walkers and local businesses now call on DCC to further utilise this Hollybrook Road car parking space by introducing ‘max three hour’ parking only.  This is the case with the Vernon Ave car park.  This uniformity of car parking at Clontarf Promenade Park will create further opportunities / space for our amenity to be enjoyed by park users.

 

 

 

 

Reply

 

 

Parking Enforcement will consult with the Traffic Dept to ensure that a 3 – hour Max stay rule is put in place, as soon as possible.

 

 

 

Karl Mitchell

Acting Executive Manager /Director of Services         

North City

Contact:           Dermot Stevenson, Parking Enforcement Officer

Email:              Dermot.stevenson@dublincity.ie

 

 

Order: Agreed. Report to City Council.

6c

Motion in the name of Councillor John Lyons

This area committee recognises the on-going and valuable commitment of the Clongriffin Community Association members to improving and enhancing their local community and supports their request for the installation of a new ability swing in Fr.Collins Park as well as the provision of designated wheelchair parking spaces at Fr. Collins Park.

 

 

Minutes:

This area committee recognises the on-going and valuable commitment of the Clongriffin Community Association members to improving and enhancing their local community and supports their request for the installation of a new ability swing in Fr.Collins Park as well as the provision of designated wheelchair parking spaces at Fr. Collins Park.

 

Reply

 

The playground in Fr. Collin’s Park is approximately 10 years old and certainly would not be considered as inclusive as would be liked these days but it is also a few years away from a complete refit. Improving accessibility and inclusivity is always one of the main design criteria for such major playground upgrade.  In advance of a major upgrade it is possible, as has been achieved in other parks, to introduce a number of accessible play items over the next few years depending on future budgets and space etc.  

The Parks Service has looked at the provision of the wheelchair swings of the type installed in Cabinteely over the last year or so on the foot of similar requests.  However upon investigation it was found that these items were quite expensive for the limited play value offered and not all that inclusive.  The recommendation from at least 1 supplier was that were not really suitable for a public park but rather should be installed in a supervised playgrounds perhaps in an institutional setting.  It was not felt that these swings meet with the 7 principles of universal design as for the safety of the swing user and other children the swing has to fenced in, segregated from the rest of the playground and requires a special key for operation.   

There are much more inclusive play items available, for example a wheelchair roundabout which allows both wheelchair users and friends to play together on the same item.  There are examples of these roundabouts recently installed in Kilbarrack, Edenmore and St. Anne’s.  The bouncy bridge in Kilbarrack is also wheelchair accessible and inclusive.   The Parks Service has replied to the Community Association and advised of the above and will consider introducing accessible items to these playgrounds in the context of future budget provisions.

 

Contact:            Fergus O’Carroll, Senior Executive Parks Superintendent

Email:              parks@dublincity.ie

 

The roads surrounding the park are not in the charge of Dublin City Council and the City Council therefore, cannot make recommendations for a disabled parking bay on these roads. However, the Area Engineer has reported that although The Hole in The Wall Road is in the charge of DCC, it does not present options for a disabled parking bay.  

 

Contact:           Martina Halpin, Senior Staff Officer, Environment and Transportation Department.

Tel:                  222 2528

Email:              martina.halpin@dublincity.ie  

                       

 

Karl Mitchell

Acting Executive Manager /Director of Services         

North City

 

Order: Agreed. Report to Councillor.

 

6d

Motion in the name of Councillor Jane Horgan Jones

That the area manager engages with the Parks Department, Central Government, and local residents to provide an ability swing in Fr Collins Park, similar to the facility provided by Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council in Cabinteely Park.

 

Minutes:

That the area manager engages with the Parks Department, Central Government, and local residents to provide an ability swing in Fr Collins Park, similar to the facility provided by Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council in Cabinteely Park.

 

 

Reply

 

 

The playground in Fr. Collin’s Park is approximately 10 years old and certainly would not be considered as inclusive as would be liked these days but it is also a few years away from a complete refit. Improving accessibility and inclusivity is always one of the main design criteria for such major playground upgrade.  In advance of a major upgrade it is possible, as has been achieved in other parks, to introduce a number of accessible play items over the next few years depending on future budgets and space etc.  

The Parks Service has looked at the provision of the wheelchair swings of the type installed in Cabinteely over the last year or so on the foot of similar requests.  However upon investigation it was found that these items were quite expensive for the limited play value offered and not all that inclusive.  The recommendation from at least 1 supplier was that were not really suitable for a public park but rather should be installed in a supervised playgrounds perhaps in an institutional setting.  It was not felt that these swings meet with the 7 principles of universal design as for the safety of the swing user and other children the swing has to be fenced in, segregated from the rest of the playground and requires a special key for operation.   

There are much more inclusive play items available, for example a wheelchair roundabout which allows both wheelchair users and friends to play together on the same item.  There are examples of these roundabouts recently installed in Kilbarrack, Edenmore and St. Anne’s.  The bouncy bridge in Kilbarrack is also wheelchair accessible and inclusive.   The Parks Service has replied to the Community Association and advised of the above and will consider introducing accessible items to these playgrounds in the context of future budget provisions.

 

Karl Mitchell

Acting Executive Manager /Director of Services         

North City

 

 

Contact:            Fergus O’Carroll, Senior Executive Parks Superintendent

Email:              parks@dublincity.ie

 

 

Order: Agreed. Report to City Council.

 

6e

Motion in the name of Councillor Racheal Batten

That this area committee will write to the minister for Sports and Local government seeking funding for repair works to be done in this facility noting the acting Area Managers response from last month’s 6f motion.

 

“6f        Motion in the name of Councillor Racheal Batten

 

That this Area committee ask the Area Manager to investigate the possibility of having outdoor dining seating area in Ellenfield Park. I the council does not believe that it can facilitate a refreshment percent building that they explore the option of providing a permit to a mobile refreshment provider to ensure that the park is to be utilised as best as possible.

 

Minutes:

That this area committee will write to the minister for Sports and Local government seeking funding for repair works to be done in this facility noting the acting Area Managers response from last month’s 6f motion.

 

“6f        Motion in the name of Councillor Racheal Batten

 

That this Area committee ask the Area Manager to investigate the possibility of having outdoor dining seating area in Ellenfield Park. I the council does not believe that it can facilitate a refreshment percent building that they explore the option of providing a permit to a mobile refreshment provider to ensure that the park is to be utilised as best as possible.

 

 

             Reply:

 

The Council is activity exploring the licencing of mobile refreshment providers in such area where they can be provided in tandem with public toilets.  Unfortunately, there is no suitable toilet in the park that could be brought into commission under this initiative.  The redundant pavilion to the north of the park is in such bad condition it would be prohibitively expensive to bring into service in the short term.  The Parks Service is open to proposals from service providers as to how these objectives might be achieved.

 

 

Karl Mitchell

Acting Executive Manager /Director of Services         

North City

 

 

Contact:            Fergus O’Carroll, Senior Executive Parks Superintendent

Email:              parks@dublincity.ie

 

 

 

 

Reply

 

It is not considered that the pavilion to the north of Ellenfiled Park is suitable to service an outdoor dining area as outlined as this is a traditional changing rooms with toilets and showers to the rear of the changing areas.  The pavilion was taken out of service due to public health concerns.  A sustainable future usage for this building would need to be identified to justify the level of investment that would be required to bring the building into service.  The Parks Service remains open to suggestions form service providers such as coffee carts and converted containers.

 

Karl Mitchell

Acting Executive Manager /Director of Services         

North City

 

 

Contact:            Fergus O’Carroll, Senior Executive Parks Superintendent

Email:              parks@dublincity.ie

 

 

Order: Agreed. Report to Councillor.

 

6f

Motion in the name of Councillor Tom Brabazon

That this area committee calls upon the manager to urgently provide additional needs access play equipment for Father Collins Park such as a roundabout and/or bouncy bridge  or both.

 

Minutes:

That this area committee calls upon the manager to urgently provide additional needs access play equipment for Father Collins Park such as a roundabout and/or bouncy bridge  or both.

 

 

 

Reply

 

The playground in Fr. Collin’s Park is approximately 10 years old and certainly would not be considered as inclusive as would be liked these days but it is also a few years away from a complete refit. Improving accessibility and inclusivity is always one of the main design criteria for such major playground upgrade.  In advance of a major upgrade it is possible, as has been achieved in other parks, to introduce a number of accessible play items over the next few years depending on future budgets and space etc.  The Playground Upgrade budget has been committed for 2021 and commitments given to address the playground deficit in the Harmonstown Area in 2022 but consideration could be given to the introduction of inclusive elements as described over the next few years subject to an appropriate budgets being identified. 

 

 

Karl Mitchell

Acting Executive Manager /Director of Services         

North City

 

 

Contact:            Fergus O’Carroll, Senior Executive Parks Superintendent

Email:              parks@dublincity.ie

 

 

Order: Agreed. Report to Councillor.

6g

Motion in the name of Councillor Racheal Batten

That this area committee would write to the NTA and seek a review of their current transport plan, to include a fast link rail line from the metro stop in Santry north wood to the facility of Beaumont Hospital. This would cater for the residence proposed in the Oscar Traynor development and assist with proper public transport on the Oscar Traynor road west which suffers from large congestion at present.

 

Minutes:

That this area committee would write to the NTA and seek a review of their current transport plan, to include a fast link rail line from the metro stop in Santry north wood to the facility of Beaumont Hospital. This would cater for the residence proposed in the Oscar Traynor development and assist with proper public transport on the Oscar Traynor road west which suffers from large congestion at present.

 

 

 

 

Reply

 

 

This will be arranged as requested.

 

 

 

 

 

Karl Mitchell

Acting Executive Manager /Director of Services         

North City

 

Contact:           Brendan O’Brien, Head of Technical Services (Traffic).

Tel:                  222 5373

Email:              brendan.obrien@dublincity.ie

 

 

Order: Agreed. Report to Councillor.

 

6h

Motion in the name of Councillor John Lyons

To ask for a report on the DCC/FOLD Milwood Court regeneration project, the phases reached to date, the number and nature of the remaining stages, information on the most recent consultative engagement with affected local stakeholders and the provision of the often requested comprehensive Sunlight/Daylight and Overshadowing reports.

 

Minutes:

To ask for a report on the DCC/FOLD Milwood Court regeneration project, the phases reached to date, the number and nature of the remaining stages, information on the most recent consultative engagement with affected local stakeholders and the provision of the often requested comprehensive Sunlight/Daylight and Overshadowing reports.

 

 

Reply

 

The reports requested by the Area Committee and the local residents will be circulated in the coming week.  These include, a traffic management plan, sunlight/daylight and overshadowing report, and the construction and demolition plan.

 

All local residents were contacted by letter to advise of recent site investigation works and Fold Housing have published and circulated the first edition of a quarterly newsletter on the project also circulated to all local residents. There has been extensive consultation on this project with local residents the most recent online public meeting took place in March this year, Fold Housing and DCC are committed to continued engagement with residents throughout the development.  

 

This housing proposal is now at the end of the pre-part 8 process, all DCC technical departments have been consulted and feedback has been noted, The Housing Department has forwarded on the complete proposal to the Planning Department for consideration by the Area Planner who will prepare a report for review by the Senior Planner.

 

Once this has been received and reviewed by the Housing Department the Area Committee will be notified of the intention to submit the Part 8 Application.

,

The Housing Department will lodge the Planning Application with Planning Registry Section, newspaper notices and site notices will be published. The local area Councillors will be informed in advance of the date of publication. This is recorded as week one of the part 8 planning process.

 

The full application will be available for public viewing from this point, observations and comments can be submitted for a period of 6 weeks.

Following this period the Planning Department will prepare a report for the Chief Executive and the Housing Department. The Area Committee will be given an update on the Part 8 and will be advised of the intention to submit the Chief Executives Report to the City Council.

 

The Chief Executives Report and all relevant documents will then be submitted for inclusion on the Agenda of the next City Council Meeting. Councillors will then be invited to vote on the proposal. The part 8 process dictates that this vote must take place twenty weeks after the application is lodged,   

 

 

 

Karl Mitchell

Acting Executive Manager /Director of Services         

North City

 

 

Contact:           Dymphna Farrell         

Tel:                  222 6530                      

Email:              Dymphna.farrell@dublincity.ie

 

 

Order: Agreed. Report to Councillor.

 

6i

Motion in the name of Councillor John Lyons

Co-signed by Cllrs Dearbhail Butler and Cllr Alison Gilliland.

 

Recognising the recent wonderful growth in membership of St.John Vianney FC, especially of young girls, and acknowledging the elected members’ discretionary budget decision to support the club by way of significant works to improve the club's facilities, this Area Committee reaffirms its commitment to St.John Vianney FC and its desire to have new toilet, water and electricity services installed as soon as possible and arrangements secured that will guarantee the club’s winter training can proceed with a minimum of disruption.

 

Minutes:

Co-signed by Cllrs Dearbhail Butler and Cllr Alison Gilliland.

 

Recognising the recent wonderful growth in membership of St.John Vianney FC, especially of young girls, and acknowledging the elected members’ discretionary budget decision to support the club by way of significant works to improve the club's facilities, this Area Committee reaffirms its commitment to St.John Vianney FC and its desire to have new toilet, water and electricity services installed as soon as possible and arrangements secured that will guarantee the club’s winter training can proceed with a minimum of disruption.

 

Reply

 

 

The area office is in the process of pricing the different works that are required in this project ie water supply, electricity supply and foul drainage and a fixed toilet unit. We will come back to area committee hopefully in July with a costing but at that stage the committee may need to discuss the use of discretionary funding seeing as at present the discretionary is already over subscribed for intended works that members have requested,

 

With regard to training facilities, the area office and parks department are liaising to see what facilities we can source for St John Vianney’s use. We have spoken to a number of facilities, intend to speak to others and will come back to the club soon.

 

 

 

 

Karl Mitchell

Acting Executive Manager /Director of Services         

North City

 

 

Contact:            Derek Farrell, Acting Local Area Manager Artane-Whitehall LEA

Phone:             222 8546

Email:              derek.farrell@dublincity.ie

 

 

Order: Agreed. Report to Councillor.

 

6j

Motion in the name of Councillor Alison Gililand

The North Central Area Committee recognises the significant levels of traffic on the Oscar Traynor Rd and the high levels of congestion. The North Central Area Committee request that an audit of traffic flow be carried out, in particular the sequencing of traffic lights and traffic sensor boxes, with a view to enhancing traffic flow. This audit should also make recommendations, including the effectiveness of introducing a right filter lane into the Clonshaugh Industrial estate for traffic travelling east/west.

 

Minutes:

The North Central Area Committee recognises the significant levels of traffic on the Oscar Traynor Rd and the high levels of congestion. The North Central Area Committee request that an audit of traffic flow be carried out, in particular the sequencing of traffic lights and traffic sensor boxes, with a view to enhancing traffic flow. This audit should also make recommendations, including the effectiveness of introducing a right filter lane into the Clonshaugh Industrial estate for traffic travelling east/west.

 

 

Reply

 

 

The ITS Section will undertake an evaluation of the traffic signals along Oscar Traynor Road with a view to improving coordination of the signals and relieving traffic congestion.

An evaluation of the operation of the junction of Oscar Traynor Rd and Clonshaugh Industrial Estate entrance will also be undertaken to determine how best to improve movement for right turn traffic into the Industrial Estate.

A report on both the above will be issued via the TAMS query system in the near future.

 

 

 

 

Karl Mitchell

Acting Executive Manager /Director of Services         

North City

 

 

Contact:           Seán Fallon, Assistant ITS Officer, Environment and Transportation Department.

Tel:                  222 6198.

Email:              sean.fallon@dublincity.ie

 

 

Order: Agreed. Report to Councillor.

 

6k

Motion in the name of Councillor Larry O'Toole

That this committee requests a report from the manager on the lack of litter bins (and indeed the recent removal of bins) in the Artane Beaumont ward.

 

Minutes:

That this committee requests a report from the manager on the lack of litter bins (and indeed the recent removal of bins) in the Artane Beaumont ward.

 

Reply

 

Councillors are informed of all decisions to permanently remove litter bins usually for the reason that they are being used to dump domestic refuse into and around them and are situated in residential areas which don’t really require litter bins. We haven’t permanently removed any litter bins from the Artane Beaumont ward in recent years.  Any litter bins in this area which are damaged or have been vandalised are brought away for repair if possible and if not, a new litter bin is installed as soon as possible. If the councillor has any specific locations in mind, he can email them to me and I will ensure that they are replaced as soon as possible. Like all parts of the city, this area is monitored on an ongoing basis to ensure there is a sufficient amount of litter bins to cater for the litter needs there.

 

 

 

Karl Mitchell

Acting Executive Manager /Director of Services         

North City

 

 

Contact:           Mick Boyle, Senior Staff Officer, Waste Management Services.

Tel:                  222 4240.

Email:              mick.boyle@dublincity.ie

 

 

Order: Agreed. Report to Councillor.

 

6l

Motion in the name of Councillor Catherine Stocker

This North Central Area Committee agrees to give Belvedere Football Club access to the portobin at the Clontarf Football pitch for use as a clubhouse until more permanent facilities can be installed and to name the clubhouse after Fergus McCabe, as is the wish of Belvedere FC, as Fergus is one of their founders and a much loved member of the club and community

Minutes:

This North Central Area Committee agrees to give Belvedere Football Club access to the portobin at the Clontarf Football pitch for use as a clubhouse until more permanent facilities can be installed and to name the clubhouse after Fergus McCabe, as is the wish of Belvedere FC, as Fergus is one of their founders and a much loved member of the club and community.

 

 

Reply

 

 

Currently the Portocabin on Clontarf Football pitch grounds is a designated isolation area as required by Dublin City Council. It is stocked with isolation kits in the event a person may present themselves with Covid 19 Symptoms. The person must stay in the designated isolation area while a transfer from the building is organised.

 

When this room becomes available Belvedere FC have the option to use this as a clubhouse until more permanent facilities come along as per request. There are however other groups/ bookings who may wish to avail of a booking in the cabin from time to time. This would need to be incorporated into the planning and usage of the cabin therefore.

 

 

Contact:           Olga Hannon / Centre Manager.          

Tel:                   2228587           

Email:              olga.hannon@dublincity.ie

There is a policy for Commemorative Naming of Infrastructure and the Provision of Monuments, Memorials and Plaques which offer opportunities to honour, celebrate, or remember a person, group  of persons or events of significance.  There is an official process which includes completing an application see link:- https://www.dublincity.ie/residential/arts-and-events/decade-commemorations/commemorative-plaques-scheme

However, it should be noted that section 15.6 of the policy document states: Proposals to commemorate living persons will not be considered.  Nominees will have to have died at least 20 years previously or have passed the centenary of their birth whichever is earlier.

 

Contact                        Paula Ebbs, Senior Staff Officer

Telephone                    222 7855

Email                           paula.ebbs@dublincity.ie

 

 

 

 

Karl Mitchell

Acting Executive Manager /Director of Services         

North City

 

 

Order: Agreed. Report to Councillorl. Bernie Roe to follow up with Cllr directly regarding time frames.

 

6m

Motion in the name of Councillor Catherine Stocker

This North Central Area Committee agrees that the DCC football pitch in Clontarf needs to be re-laid. The facility is used by many residents of the North Central Area and has not been upgraded in 11 years, when the life cycle of such pitches is usually 7 years.

Minutes:

This North Central Area Committee agrees that the DCC football pitch in Clontarf needs to be re-laid. The facility is used by many residents of the North Central Area and has not been upgraded in 11 years, when the life cycle of such pitches is usually 7 years.

 

 

Reply

 

The DCC pitch in Clontarf, Alfie Byrne Road was tested and approved in April 2021 to meet current standards by a world renowned company who specialise in their field.

We are however acting in anticipation of the pitch degrading over the coming year, so are currently in negotiations with a contractor with a view to upgrade the pitch in a timely manner.

           

 

 

 

Contact:           Olga Hannon   

Tel:                  2228587           

Email:              olga.hannon@dublincity.ie

 

 

 

 

Karl Mitchell

Acting Executive Manager /Director of Services         

North City

 

 

Order: Agreed. Report to Councillor.

 

6n

Motion in the name of Councillor Catherine Stocker

That this North Central Area Committee agrees to engage meaningfully with a number of residents regarding use of the lane behind their homes on Celtic Park Avenue. Residents with young children are concerned about cars and motorbikes driving at speed through the lane as a shortcut to the road and would like bollards put in place and/or other traffic calming measures to prevent this.

 

Minutes:

That this North Central Area Committee agrees to engage meaningfully with a number of residents regarding use of the lane behind their homes on Celtic Park Avenue. Residents with young children are concerned about cars and motorbikes driving at speed through the lane as a shortcut to the road and would like bollards put in place and/or other traffic calming measures to prevent this.

 

 

 

Reply

 

 

The North Central Area Office is currently liaising with two residents with regard to a possible extinguishment of public right of way at the location. An application letter has already been submitted to us and we are told by the residents that the signed petition is nearly complete and will be ready to submit to us this week for assessment.

 

Contact:           Joanne O’Sullivan      

Tel:                  087 2868325    

Email:              joanne.osullivan@dublincity.ie

 

Laneways such as this one are built for servicing reasons. The installation of bollards would cause a significant inconvenience to local residents wishing to access and egress from their properties (deliveries, garages, sheds, etc) along this stretch.

 

They can also result in operational difficulties for emergency services and waste disposal etc.

 

If it can be confirmed that a majority of residents are in favour of installation of bollards with the subsequent loss of access from some of the entry points to the laneway as described above we will commit to investigating the matter further.

 

It should be noted that if one entrance to the laneway is blocked this will increase traffic on other routes.

 

 

Contact:           Catalin Rosca, Area Traffic Engineer, Environment & Transportation Dept.

Tel:                  222 6145.

Email:              catalin.rosca@dublincity.ie

 

 

Karl Mitchell

Acting Executive Manager /Director of Services         

North City

 

 

Order: Agreed. Report to Councillor.

 

6o

Motion in the name of Councillor Damian O'Farrell

That this Area Committee supports the disability community in their continuous fight for access. We request the CEO of DCC to organise with Eir the removal of all newly installed Eir Digital Payphone Units in the city that do not comply with the IWA / Best Practice Access Guidelines.  I contacted the IWA National Access Programme Office post the installation of an Eir Digital Payphone Unit on Annesley Bridge Road, Fairview Dublin 3 and was told this was the first time the issue had been raised with them.  The IWA sent me the Best Practice Assess Guidelines below which stipulates a clear path width of 2000mm.  The Eir Digital Payphone Unit in Fairview as an example has a clear path width of 1780mm on one side and 1330mm on the other. i.e. the unit is in the middle of the footpath and clearly doesn't comply with the IWA  Access Guidelines and should be removed without further delay.    

. 

Irish Wheelchair Association /Best Practice  Access Guidelines

4.2.2.6 Street Furniture The careful positioning of street furniture provides good access and reduces potential hazards. Street furniture and signage should always be located either close to, or recessed into, the inner shoreline (that is, a wall, fence or building), or alternatively, on the kerb edge, leaving the middle of the pavement clear. A clear path width of preferably 2000mm should be maintained along the circulation route. Temporary street furniture on pavements, such as shop displays, sandwich boards and utility bins should be placed out of the way of the pedestrian route and maintained in that position. Any temporary street furniture that encroaches into the clear width of the pedestrian route should be reported to the local authority and removed. If free standing posts or columns are unavoidably located within access routes these should incorporate a band of contrasting colour at a height of 1500-1650mm. An additional band at a height of 850-1000mm is recommended. However, as a continuous clear path width of 2000mm is required, this situation ought not to occur. Cycle parking must be kept clear of pedestrian routes.

 

4.2.2.7 Hazard Protection The swing of doors and windows, and the location of vending machines, public telephones, etc, should not extend into any access route. 

Minutes:

That this Area Committee supports the disability community in their continuous fight for access. We request the CEO of DCC to organise with Eir the removal of all newly installed Eir Digital Payphone Units in the city that do not comply with the IWA / Best Practice Access Guidelines.  I contacted the IWA National Access Programme Office post the installation of an Eir Digital Payphone Unit on Annesley Bridge Road, Fairview Dublin 3 and was told this was the first time the issue had been raised with them.  The IWA sent me the Best Practice Assess Guidelines below which stipulates a clear path width of 2000mm.  The Eir Digital Payphone Unit in Fairview as an example has a clear path width of 1780mm on one side and 1330mm on the other. i.e. the unit is in the middle of the footpath and clearly doesn't comply with the IWA  Access Guidelines and should be removed without further delay.     

.  

Irish Wheelchair Association /Best Practice  Access Guidelines

4.2.2.6 Street Furniture The careful positioning of street furniture provides good access and reduces potential hazards. Street furniture and signage should always be located either close to, or recessed into, the inner shoreline (that is, a wall, fence or building), or alternatively, on the kerb edge, leaving the middle of the pavement clear. A clear path width of preferably 2000mm should be maintained along the circulation route. Temporary street furniture on pavements, such as shop displays, sandwich boards and utility bins should be placed out of the way of the pedestrian route and maintained in that position. Any temporary street furniture that encroaches into the clear width of the pedestrian route should be reported to the local authority and removed. If free standing posts or columns are unavoidably located within access routes these should incorporate a band of contrasting colour at a height of 1500-1650mm. An additional band at a height of 850-1000mm is recommended. However, as a continuous clear path width of 2000mm is required, this situation ought not to occur. Cycle parking must be kept clear of pedestrian routes. 

 

4.2.2.7 Hazard Protection The swing of doors and windows, and the location of vending machines, public telephones, etc, should not extend into any access route.  

 

 

Reply

 

EIR require a T2 (utility road opening licence to install the unit) to open the ground to install the unit.  EIR have a T2 (ref 2021 DC 0298) for this installation, therefore from RCU & RMS point of view, EIR are compliant.

 

Contact:           Deri Flood, Senior Executive Engineer, Infrastructure Management Unit.

Tel:                  086 388 3986

Email.              deri.flood@dublincity.ie

 

 

The North Central Area Office will be in touch with the relevant Dept /Section and update the Councillor accordingly and /or as soon as possible.

 

Contact:            Derek Farrell, Acting Local Area Manager Artane-Whitehall LEA

Phone:             222 8546

Email:              derek.farrell@dublincity.ie

 

 

 

Karl Mitchell

Acting Executive Manager /Director of Services         

North City

 

 

Order:  Not agreed.  Cllr. O’Muirí seconded.  The Manager stated that the Area Office will follow up on above mentioned location.  ...  view the full minutes text for item 6o

6p

Motion in the name of Councillor John Lyons

Noting the poor condition of many footpaths the Kilmore West area, and in particular the poor job done recently on the footpath along the Oscar Traynor Road from Dundaniel Road down to Northside Shopping Centre, this Area Committee calls for a report on the contractors used to carry out such works, the level of oversight and quality control conducted by the city council with each job and further calls for a survey to be conducted on the state of the footpaths in the Kilmore West area with a view to carrying out a comprehensive footpath repair works programme.

 

Minutes:

Noting the poor condition of many footpaths the Kilmore West area, and in particular the poor job done recently on the footpath along the Oscar Traynor Road from Dundaniel Road down to Northside Shopping Centre, this Area Committee calls for a report on the contractors used to carry out such works, the level of oversight and quality control conducted by the city council with each job and further calls for a survey to be conducted on the state of the footpaths in the Kilmore West area with a view to carrying out a comprehensive footpath repair works programme.

 

 

Reply

 

The trench reinstatement along Oscar Traynor Road is a temporary asphalt reinstatement. The permanent concrete reinstatement is due to begin in the coming weeks. This is a third party utility trench.

 

Road Maintenance Services do not have the resources to inspect the entire Kilmore West area. Please revert with a list of locations referenced the road name and either the nearest house or lamp post number and Road Maintenance Services will inspect this location and schedule a repair if required. 

 

 

 

 

 

Karl Mitchell

Acting Executive Manager /Director of Services         

North City

 

Contact:            Shane Satell, Executive Engineer, Road Maintenance Services.

Tel:                   222 2297.

Email:              shane.satell@dublincity.ie

 

 

Order: Agreed.  Cllr Lyons to send in a list of defective footpaths to the North Central generic email for consideration in Works Programme 2022.

6q

Motion in the name of Councillor Donna Cooney

That North Central Area committee express grave concern on the protection on the North Bull Island flora and fauna after the recent June bank holiday fire in the dunes, which is the 4th in 2021, that we seek urgent action to protect this nature reserve and the ground nesting birds, be it full time wardens, monitors to alert Garda and emergency service to illegal activities, that this biosphere should be a coexistence between people and nature, but a some illegal activities are destroying the habitat through fires, dumping of litter, plastic, masks killing puffins etc and unless something is done urgently we could see a ecological disaster with so many protected species inhabiting or visiting bull Island. That the minister for heritage is invited to the next bull island oversight group to see what assistance the department can make to help protect Bull Island nature reserve. 

 

Minutes:

That North Central Area committee express grave concern on the protection on the North Bull Island flora and fauna after the recent June bank holiday fire in the dunes, which is the 4th in 2021, that we seek urgent action to protect this nature reserve and the ground nesting birds, be it full time wardens, monitors to alert Garda and emergency service to illegal activities, that this biosphere should be a coexistence between people and nature, but a some illegal activities are destroying the habitat through fires, dumping of litter, plastic, masks killing puffins etc and unless something is done urgently we could see a ecological disaster with so many protected species inhabiting or visiting bull Island. That the minister for heritage is invited to the next bull island oversight group to see what assistance the department can make to help protect Bull Island nature reserve. 

 

 

Reply

 

Fires are an ongoing issue on Bull Island at this time of year, thankfully due to the actions of DFB damage has been very limited and the ecosystem has made a full recovery each time, Parks are currently working with DFB on emergency response plans for the Island, and there are proposals for location markers to be erected along length of Island to speed up response time to incidents in dunes. Also the proposed signage strategy will include “No Fire/No BBQ” on finger posts throughout dunes.  Studies are being carried out of the data as to when these fires occur which may indicate what the primary causes are and whether they are accidental or deliberate.

 

 

The Minister is represented by the NPWS on the Bull Island Oversight Forum, and this item will be on the Agenda for the next meeting – following this meeting, if the Forum considers it appropriate to invite the Minister, this can be arranged.

 

 

 

 

Karl Mitchell

Acting Executive Manager /Director of Services         

North City

 

 

Contact:            Fergus O’Carroll, Senior Executive Parks Superintendent

Email:              parks@dublincity.ie

 

Order: Not agreed.  Item to be listed on the Bull Island Oversight Forum and the Chief Executive and Minister to be invited. Cllr Heney requested on behalf of the NCAC that the Manager speak to the Chief Executive. 

6r

Motion in the name of Councillor Donna Cooney

That recycling deposit containers like those installed on Howth harbour are placed in areas in North Central area, example Fairview Park, the promenade, entrance to Bull Island were there are large numbers of people with recyclable containers plastic bottles etc.

Minutes:

That recycling deposit containers like those installed on Howth harbour are placed in areas in North Central area, example Fairview Park, the promenade, entrance to Bull Island were there are large numbers of people with recyclable containers plastic bottles etc. 

 

 

 

Reply

 

 

The Parks Service does not currently have the capacity to segregate waste collected in public parks. The provision of segregated waste bins on Bull Island is being actively explored however it is proving extremely difficult to procure the level of waste collection services of a waste company that would be required given the volumes of waste generated on the Nature Reserve.  Alternative options are being explored and will be reported back to the Bull Island Nature Reserve Oversight Committee.

 

 

Karl Mitchell

Acting Executive Manager /Director of Services         

North City

 

 

Contact:            Fergus O’Carroll, Senior Executive Parks Superintendent

Email:              parks@dublincity.ie

 

 

Order: Not agreed.  Refer to SPC.

6s

Motion in the name of Councillor Naoise O'Muiri

That this Area Committee supports the delivery of improved access arrangements and facilities for the Bull Island Causeway via a new Part 8 process.

Minutes:

That this Area Committee supports the delivery of improved access arrangements and facilities for the Bull Island Causeway via a new Part 8 process.


 

Reply

 

 

The improvement of the access arrangements, footpaths, parking and causeway surfacing are included in the proposals for the new Discovery Centre to be lodged with the board in the coming months.  While it is possible to separate these works from the overall Discovery Centre works servicing the new building will require digging up the causeway and it would be more sustainable to carry out these works in tandem with the Discovery Centre development.

 

Karl Mitchell

Acting Executive Manager /Director of Services         

North City

 

 

Contact:            Fergus O’Carroll, Senior Executive Parks Superintendent

Email:              parks@dublincity.ie

                       

Order: Agreed.  Report to Councillor.

 

 

Emergency Motion in the name of Cllr. Larry O’Toole was taken by the Manager.

 

That this committee instruct the manager to have a letter issued tomorrow (Tuesday) to all local area councillors explaining why correspondance seen by local residents regarding development of homes on the illegal industrial dump at Belcamp was issued prior to consultation with local councillors or passed by any committee before it was issued. 

 

The Manager stated the first responsibility on DCC is to remove the rubbish and build the wall as a priority and he will then engage with Travellers Section and the City Architects to look at the site for potential development. The Manager has committed to sending written correspondence to the members of the NCAC tomorrow.