{meta} Agenda for Traffic and Transport SPC on Thursday 19th April, 2018, 3.00 pm

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Council Chamber, City Hall, Dame Street, Dublin 2.. View directions

Contact: Mary Boyle Ext 2523 

Items
No. Item

1.

Minutes of meeting held on 7th February, 2018 pdf icon PDF 93 KB

Minutes:

Minutes agreed. 

 

Mr Colm Ryder said that the matter of cyclist collisions on Luas tracks, as referred to by him at the February meeting under Item 3, was not listed 

in the Minutes of 7th February, 2018.  Minutes amended accordingly.

 

2.

Metrolink - presentation by Ms Anne Graham, CEO, National Transport Authority

Minutes:

Ms Anne Graham, CEO, NTA, gave an overview of the proposed key public transport projects, and Mr Aidan Foley, Project Director Metrolink, gave a presentation on the proposed Metrolink.  Members raised a wide range of issues. Ms Graham and Mr Foley replied in detail.  Mr Foley said that concerns raised during the public consultation process for Metrolink are being listened to and will be addressed and incorporated into further emerging designs, including disability access to stations.  Details of the Metrolink project are available at  www.metrolink.ie;   The Chairperson thanked Ms Graham and Mr Foley for their presentation.

 

Presentation noted.

 

3.

College Green - verbal update

Minutes:

Mr Brendan O’Brien, a/Executive Manager (Traffic), reported on the recent

An Bord Pleanála oral hearing in relation to College Green.  A decision is expected from An Bord Pleanála in August/September of this year. Over 100 buses an hour have been removed from College Green in peak time and a 3 hour ban on southbound taxis is in place Monday to Friday, which have considerably alleviated but not fully addressed issues.  The City Council will look at what can be done to reduce delays for pedestrians at College Green.  It will look also at signaling arrangements in the area, alternative routes and possible solutions for issues that have arisen on the alternative routes impacting buses, such as on Tara Street.  Mr O’Brien said also that he would welcome increased enforcement of College Green by the Gardaí.

 

Update noted.

 

4.

Draft Dublin City Council Special Speed Limit Bye-Laws 2018 pdf icon PDF 805 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Mr Dermot Stevenson, a/Senior Executive Engineer, reported on the proposed Dublin City Council Special Speed Limit Bye-Laws 2018, which propose to expand the 30 km/h zones in the city, including periodic speed limits outside a number of schools.  Mr Stevenson responded to issues raised by Members.  30 km/h roundels are to be painted on the road at certain locations.  The City Council will do more assessments on speeds later in the year and will look at what interventions can be done where compliance is an issue.  The scope for interventions will be subject to budget and the road.  In response to the Chairperson, a 40km/h speed limit on arterial routes within the canals will be examined after the 30 km/h speed limits have settled in. 

 

It was agreed to refer the Draft Dublin City Council Special Speed Limit Bye-Laws 2018 to the City Council for approval to initiate the public consultation process.

 

5.

Strategic Plan for Coach Parking in Dublin City Council Administrative Area - presentation

Minutes:

Mr Andy Walsh, Senior Engineer, gave an update on coach parking. There are 30 coach parking areas in the city, for 90 coaches, and 50 spaces in the new NTA coach park.   It is proposed to reduce the amount of on-street coach parking - with the new coach park, there will be a net increase overall in parking by circa 20%.  Usage of the coach park is low at present and the facility will require greater promotion.  All on-street coach parking will be chargeable in due course and Bye-Laws will be brought to the SPC later this year in this regard.

 

Report noted.

 

6.

4-axle vehicles and the HGV Permit system - presentation

Minutes:

Mr Brendan O’Brien, a/Executive Manager (Traffic), gave a presentation on this item.Mr O’Brien outlined the operation of the current permit system since its introduction in 2007. Design work is starting on a review of the HGV permit system, to take into account 4 axle vehicles accessing private houses, and the use also of smaller axle-size vehicles for certain areas such as Grafton Street.  Mr O’Brien noted also that the new HGV permit checker app may possibly launch during the summer, following testing.

 

Presentation noted.

 

7.

Electric Vehicle Charging for residents of terraced houses or apartments pdf icon PDF 103 KB

Minutes:

Item deferred to next meeting of the Transportation SPC

 

8.

National Transport Authority Capital Project funding 2018

Minutes:

Item deferred to next meeting of the Transportation SPC

 

9.

Public Realm Strategy implementation - verbal update

Minutes:

Item deferred to next meeting of the Transportation SPC

 

10.

Smart Phone Usage in Public pdf icon PDF 53 KB

Minutes:

Item deferred to next meeting of the Transportation SPC

 

11.

Minutes of Cycling and Walking Sub-Committee meeting held on 18th January, 2018 pdf icon PDF 122 KB

Minutes:

Cycling and Walking Sub-Committee Minutes noted. 

 

12.

Motion in the name of Councillor Paul Hand: "That this SPC requests that Dublin City Council improve their traffic monitoring of Bus Lanes and requests that An Garda Siochana increase enforcement of private vehicles using the bus lane. To this end we request that this motion be sent to the CEO Owen Keegan and the Garda Commissioner for their due consideration."

Minutes:

It was agreed to forward a report to the Councillor.

 

13.

Motion in the name of Mr. Martin Hoey, Public Participation Network: "To assist in on street decluttering of poles on footpaths can the following be agreed: 1. There there is a bus shelter and real time pole that the real time unit is integrated inside the shelter as is the case in Belfast for example and also where a bus stop pole and real time pole are together that the bus stop pole be removed and the stop headplate be attached to the realtime pole.
2. That all speed limit poles be removed and instead the speeds be written clearly on the roadway. If this is approved then it would result in several hundred poles being removed from the city's footpaths which benefits people with disabilities and the older element of the population the most."

Minutes:

Mr Brendan O’Brien, a/Executive Manager (Traffic), in response to part 1, said that the decision was made at the time not to combine real time units with bus shelters due to possible vandalism.  The units, which are two-sided, were placed on poles to be seen from either side.

Report will be forwarded to Mr Hoey.

 

14.

AOB: In relation to the request for an update on stationless bikes, Mr Kevin Meade, Senior Executive Officer, said that 18th April, 2018, was the closing date for applications from operators. Five high quality applications were received. An Assessment Board was formed today (19th April, 2018) and the first licenses are expected to be issued in early May, 2018.