{meta} Agenda for North Central Area JPC on Monday 17th July, 2023, 10.30 am

Agenda and minutes


No. Item


Minutes of meeting held 17th April 2023 pdf icon PDF 236 KB



Derek Kelly, Deirdre Murphy & Nicko Murphy gave their apologies. The chair requested that committee write to Ex Chief Superintendent Mark Curran to thank him for his work over the last 41years and wish him well in his retirement, this was echoed by a number of Councillors. Chief Superintendent Peter Duff was welcomed and agreed to distribute his contact details thru email to the committee.


Darndale Implementation Oversight Group pdf icon PDF 62 KB

Dympna Mc Cann See Attached


Dympna Mc Cann gave update. Councillor Flanagan thanked Dympna and the group for all their work which can be clearly seen in the area, this was echoed by all Councillors.



Derek Farrell - Verbal update


Derek Farrell requested and it was agreed that this committee give a letter of support for a Section 38 application for the regularisation of cameras in Darndale.

Councillor O’Muiri queried who will monitor these cameras. Derek Farrell advised that Dublin City Council are the data controller but that the cameras are not monitored on a live feed but reviewed where necessary. Councillor Cooney requested to know if other areas i.e. Alfie Byrne Road were going to be included however it was explained that the cameras in Darndale were already in situ and that we area only seeking to regularise them. The installation of any future cameras will have to wait until the rules of use are agreed by the LGMA for illegal dumping recording and for anti-social behaviour and/or criminal proceedings until the An Garda Siochana (recording Devices) Bill 2022 is agreed and enacted. Derek Farrell to follow up with LGMA (Local Government Management Agency) as to how long it will take for the rules o be put in place.



Garda Reports pdf icon PDF 500 KB

Santry – Superintendent Darren Mc Carthy


Clontarf/Donaghmede – Superintendent Majella Armstrong


Coolock – Superintendent Ronan Barry


Additional documents:


Santry: Sergeant Aidan Monaghan & Inspector John Mc Monagle were present and gave update on behalf of Superintendent Darren Mc Carthy. Committee was advised re error on amount of theft’s which should be 5 and not 7 as reported.

Clontarf/Raheny: Sergeant Paraic Lynch was on zoom due to Superintendent Majella Armstrong leaving the area. The committee agreed to write to Superintendent Majella Armstrong to thank her for her work and wish her well in new position. Update was given by Superintendent Ronan Barry on behalf of the Clontarf/Raheny area. Councillor O’Muiri welcomed the visible community engagement. Councillor Batten complimented everyone involved with the concerts in both Fairview & St Annes.

Coolock: Superintendent Ronan Barry gave update.



New Garda Station

Retired Chief Superintendent Mark Curran had advised previously that this matter is in the hands of the Office of Public Works and Dublin City Council at the moment. An Garda Siochana are satisfied that this matter is progressing.



Councillor Mac Donncha requested to know if a specific location has been identified and will it form a civic centre. Derek Farrell advised that the land is belonging to DCC and is to be transferred over to OPW to develop a garda station and primary care centre. It was agreed that the area manager will follow up on hand over of land to the OPW. Both Superintendent Ronan Barry & Chief Superintendent Peter Duff will look into getting onto the committee now that Chief Superintendent Mark Curran has retired.



Next Meeting: 16th October 2023 at 10.30am via Zoom.


Councillor Lyons asked that this committee write to the Commissioner’s Office for clarity as to what the legal situation is Nationally on protestors who are targeting bookshops with acts of racism, homephoebic and anti-Semitic hate crimes and how do the Gardai approach these hate crimes. Councillor Cooney raised concern over librarian staff. Area Managers will talk to a senior member of the library team and raise concerns that have been mentioned here today. Councillor Stanley thanked Councillor Lyons for bringing up this issue and the raising of concern for librarian staff. Cllr Mac Donncha advised that this issue was raised & passed as a motion at the Arts SPC.