{meta} Agenda for Dublin City Joint Policing Committee on Tuesday 3rd July, 2018, 2.30 pm

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Council Chamber, City Hall, Dame Street, Dublin 2.. View directions

Contact: Ruth Treacy 

No. Item


Minutes of Meeting held on 8th May 2018


Order: Agreed.

Correction to be made to Minutes in respect of the figure recording the number of Garda personnel assigned to the Roads Policing Division.

Action:  Ruth to make correction to minutes of last meeting. 


Presentation on Fatima Groups United - Mr. Joe Donohoe

Report to be circulated at meeting.


Deferred from last meeting.  Presentation noted and welcomed; discussion followed.  Members acknowledged Joe’s continued work in the area. 


Tony Flynn:  The Housing Department produced a report to both the Housing and Planning Strategic Policy Committees (SPC’s) in relation to tenure and incomes.  The inclusion of Community Clauses is being investigated, whereby any project costing in excess of €5m would have a community clause embedded.  Designs for new estates are forwarded to An Garda Siochana for review and this consultation influences design.


Parks Subcommittee

Verbal update will be given at meeting.


Order: Second meeting of Parks Subcommittee took place immediately prior to this meeting. An Garda Síochána are in the process of developing an app, arcgis, which is being modified at present; it is hoped to make this app available for download to Council members and JPC members only (in the first instance) in the coming month.  Parks Committee to continue to meet regularly.


·        Letter to be forward to Minister for Justice and Equality requesting that changes be made to the legislation to incorporate the use of quad bikes / scramblers and to make registration of such vehicles and wearing of PPE mandatory.  Meeting also to be requested with Minister to discuss issue further.  Chairperson to arrange both.


·        Chairperson to liaise with Les Moore, City Parks Superintendent regarding the possibility of enhancing Parks Bye-laws in this regard.




Recording of meetings


At previous meetings it was agreed that an audio recording would be made of meetings going forward for record purposes. However members expressed concerns in this regard therefore the decision was reversed. 

Action:  No audio recordings of meetings will be made.


Report of Assistant Garda Commissioner


Report noted.

A.C. Leahy: Garda numbers have increased in all areas within the DMR, with the September allocation yet to be distributed. He expects numbers to be up 400 by year end with garda numbers back at 2009 peak levels by the end of 2019.


Operation Irene is up and running again.  This operation targets public spaces during summer period, such as parks, beaches etc.


Papal Visit will have a significant impact on the city in terms of traffic management, crowd control and mobility issues. There will be between 1200 and 1500 members of AGS on duty for the event. Attendees are being requested to use public transport where possible. 


Action:  Garda Report for next meeting to include both a breakdown on number of sergeants and inspectors which will be appointed across the city in the coming months and information in respect of the overtime budget.


Report of Assistant Chief Executive (DCC)


Report noted.

Action: Chairperson will update members at the next meeting on the Policing Authority’s Annual Conference for Chief Executives of Local Authorities and Chairpersons of JPC’s, scheduled to take place tomorrow.


Documentation from Joint Policing Subcommittees


Order: Noted.


2018 Meeting dates


September 4th 2018

November 6th 2018 


All meetings take place on Tuesdays at 2.30 p.m. in Council Chamber, City Hall





·        Councillor Flynn commended An Garda Siochana for their exemplary policing of the Pride Festival.


·        Dates for 2019 meetings to be circulated at next meeting.