{meta} Agenda for Dublin City Joint Policing Committee on Tuesday 6th March, 2018, 2.30 pm

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Council Chamber, City Hall, Dame Street, Dublin 2.. View directions

Contact: Ruth Treacy, Senior Staff Officer 

No. Item


Minutes of meeting held on 23/01/2018




Irish Prison Service - Mr. Fergal Black, Director of Care & Rehabilitation


Presentation by Fergal Black, Director of Care & Rehabilitation.

The presentation was followed by a series of questions, all of which Fergal addressed.


Report of Assistant Chief Executive (attached)


Report noted.

Medically Supervised Injecting Centre (MSIF):

Discussion followed.  While members are aggrieved at the location (Merchant’s Quay), particularly its close proximity to a school, they welcome the fact that there will be an opportunity for consultation going forward. 

Brendan confirmed that the planning application has not yet been lodged and that it will be communicated to members and included on the weekly Planning Lists when received.  He would anticipate a number of objections and that it will be appealed to An Bord Pleanála.  Brendan was involved with the HSE on the Working Group, as were An Garda Síochána. 

Action: It was agreed that Dr. Eamon Keenan, Clinical Lead, Health Service Executive, be invited to attend the next meeting. 


Report of Assistant Garda Commissioner


Report noted.

·        MSIF: This is an emotive issue, particularly with respect to the location.  However the use of Garda Discretion is not a new concept for AGS. 


·        Severe weather event:  A.C. Leahy extended his thanks to all who assisted during the time, DCC, Civil Defence and his own AGS staff.  

            Cllr. Flynn asked that we look at acquiring some all-weather vehicles in the             future and reduce our reliance on the army for such events going forward.


·        Garda Resources: AC Leahy: Resources have been decreasing since 2009, down by 885 and down 139 sergeants.  Cllr. McAdam requested that additional gardaí be allocated to the North East Inner City (NEIC) to assist younger officers who lack experience dealing with shooting incidents etc.  Cllr. McAdam also asked that consideration be given to opening a purpose-built Garda Station within Dublin Port owing to ongoing operations taking place there relating to criminal activity, in addition to knock-on effects of Brexit.

            Cllr. Lacey raised issue of the lack of local knowledge of some gardaí in terms        of the names of the key stakeholders / areas within their respective      jurisdictions.


Action:  Assistant Commissioner Leahy will report to next meeting on allocations of garda recruits per division over the next 9/10 months.


Motion referred from North West Area Joint Policing Subcommittee (attached)


“The Northwest Area Sub Committee seeks the support of the City wide JPC in tackling the control of Quad Bikes and Scramblers.  They request that a letter of support on behalf of the JPC and its Sub Committees be sent to the Dáil, seeking change in legislation allowing An Garda Síochána more powers in policing the issue”.

(Link to Dáil question from Deputy Ellis:  https://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp )


Cllr. De Róiste has raised this issue with the previous Minister for Justice and will submit a reminder on foot of the motion.

This issue is also being addressed by the recently-established Dublin City JPC Parks subcommittee.

Action: Chairperson to raise issue again with the current Minister for Justice



Documentation from Joint Policing Subcommittees (attached)




2018 Meeting Dates


May 8th 2018

July 3rd 2018 

September 4th 2018

November 6th 2018


All meetings take place on Tuesdays at 2.30 p.m. in Council Chamber, City Hall




Rickshaws:  The issue was raised to relation to the introduction some type of bye-law to govern their use.  The Chair informed members that this issue is with the National Transport Authority for action.