{meta} Agenda for Planning and Urban Regeneration SPC on Wednesday 22nd November, 2023, 2.00 pm

Agenda and minutes



No. Item


Minutes of Meeting 5th October pdf icon PDF 435 KB

Additional documents:


1.   Minutes of Meeting 27th June

   Minutes of Meeting 5th October




Matters arising

Additional documents:


        2.  Matters arising:

Kilmainham Mills

Site visit was arranged by Donncha Ó Dúlaing on 12th October, Cllr. Janet Horner, Cllr. Dermot Lacey and Dr.Robbie Sinnott made the visit.  Cllr. Dermot Lacey offered his congratulations to Donncha and Catherine on the project.


Build To Rent Variation

Action: Following the meeting 2 reports were circulated to the Members.

Inactivated Planning Permissions

Inactivated Housing Permission Data


Residential Zoned Land Tax

 Agreed: Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage have established a    Derelict Sites Act Working Group to look at the functioning of the Derelict Sites Act in combatting dereliction.Nial Dully will report back to February meeting regarding top 3 recommendations of the Working Group.




Terms of the Planning and Development Bill 2023 ( Working Group update)

Additional documents:


3.    Terms of the Planning and Development Bill 2023

On the 21st November the Government published The Planning and Development Bill 2023.

Discussion followed and Dr. Robbie Sinnott made the point that there was an absence of an Accessibility Impact Statement and had requested an amendment to the Bill to make it compliant with CRPD especially Article 4. 3 and Article 9 on behalf of his organisation.

Agreed: Aileen to send copy of Bill and Explanatory Memorandum to all Members.

 Working group to be set up consisting of Cllr Dermot Lacey as Chair,

 Cllr. Sophie Nicoullaud, Cllr Ray McAdam and Mr. Odran Reid.  The working group will examine

 The Bill and report back to the February SPC with a submission prepared and ready to

go to the Oireachtas Committee.



Enforcement Report pdf icon PDF 313 KB

Additional documents:


4.    Enforcement

Motion from Councillor Janet Horner regarding Banners

(Report circulated prior to meeting)

            John Downey A/Planning Enforcement Manager answered questions raised by the Members

            Main Points:

·         John explained that he can only act on complaints received and that out of 50 cases taken recently 40 had been resolved.

·         Shop can cover 25% of glazed area with branding/advertising.

·         Shop owners are worried about too many goods on display.

·         No requirement for light to come out of shop to light up pavement.

   Agreed: John Downey will deal with individual cases – full commitment to take action any cases submitted by Cllr Janet Horner.


 Motion B from Councillor Janet Horner regarding Banners

(Report circulated prior to meeting)

            John Downey A/Planning Enforcement Manager answered questions raised by the Members.

Main Points:

·         People are being exploited by advertising for betting

Agreed: John is willing to take a test case and initiate a prosecution against a gambling banner.

Motion Agreed

Action: Chair will write to  Minister O’Brien & O’Donnell with copy of motion with an addendum “ Hotel and other Establishment” in wording and copy to go to Gambling Regulator and Advertising Standards.

Agreed: Acknowledgement of complaints resolved by Planning Enforcement be sent via email as well as hard copy for ease of Councillors forwarding.



Childcare Sub-Group Update

Additional documents:


5.    Childcare Sub-Group Update

Minister O’Gorman has replied to the Chair update 2001 Guidelines and review is being undertaken, survey has been undertaken.  Draft of Updated Guidelines hope to be ready early 2024.

Chairperson to share information received from Minister, Aileen will forwarded to members

Update on role of Childcare Committee for February meeting and Supply Management Co-Ordinator role.

 Agreed: When Survey of Local Authority is initiated Sub Group would like to be engaged.  Management will meet or correspond by email when survey is received.



Living Over The Shop Update

Additional documents:


6.       Living Over The Shop Update

Deirdre Scully, Dublin City Planning Officer gave a verbal update.

 Housing Agency in conjunction with Dublin Simon Community & DCU are doing an extensive review and large study which is at an advanced stage.  We have approached the Housing Agency to be part of the project.  Draft study should be ready early in Q 1 2024 at that stage if we feel that there are elements that need to be explored further we can progress.


     Agreed: Circulate summary of project and update from Deirdre.

      Simon are willing to come to SPC to give update on findings.

      Alison Gilliand – apologies supportive to her to have written update





Additional documents:



7.    A.O.B.


Prof. Diarmuid Hegarty to be sent terms of reference of Child Care Sub-Group and update from Minister to be circulated.



Date of the Next Meeting

Tuesday 20th February @ 2pm

Additional documents:


8.     Date of next meeting:

Tuesday 20th February @ 2pm



Councillor Ray McAdam


Thursday 22nd November 2023







Ray McAdam (Chairperson)

Dermot Lacey

Janet Horner



Declan Meenagh

Dr.Robbie Sinnott

Sophie Nicoullaud



Prof. Diarmuid Hegarty

Anthony Connaghan

Patricia Roe



Anthony Flynn

Deirdre Scully                                                                   

Máire Igoe



Alison Gilliland (apologies)                          




John Downey

Sheila Hennessy




Olivia Kelly



Aileen Mac Dermott

Jonathan Fallon




Lord Mayor (Daithí De Róiste)

Tom Brabazon

 Jonny McKenna



  John Lyons

  Odran Reid