{meta} Agenda for North Central Area Committee on Monday 21st March, 2022, 2.00 pm

Agenda and minutes

Venue: BY REMOTE VIDEO CONFERENCING VIA - ZOOM. View directions

Contact: Fiona Moore  Catherine Cahill

Items
No. Item

7.

Minutes of the NCAC Meeting dated 21st February 2022 pdf icon PDF 509 KB

Attached herewith.

Minutes:

Order:  Agreed.  Seconded by Cllr. O’Muirí.

2.

Minutes of the Special Convening of the NCAC of 28th February 2022 pdf icon PDF 243 KB

Attached herewith.

Minutes:

Order:  Agreed.  Seconded by Cllr. O’Muirí.

 

 

3.

Questions to the Area Manager 21st March 2022 pdf icon PDF 2 MB

Attached herewith.

Minutes:

Order:  Noted.  Attached herewith Questions (No details supplied)

 

4.

Area Matters

4a

Disposals - proposed disposal of a plot to the rear of 105 Brian Road Marino, Dublin 3.

Report & map attached herewith.  Nicola Finegan

 

Minutes:

Order:  Agreed.

 

4b

Disposals - proposed disposal of a plot to the rear of 21 Croydon Green, Marino, Dublin 3.

Report & map attached herewith.  Nicola Finegan

 

Minutes:

Order:  Agreed.

 

4c

Disposals - proposed disposal of a plot to the rear of 22 Carleton Road, Marino, Dublin 3.

Report & map attached herewith.  Nicola Finegan

 

Minutes:

Order:  Agreed.

 

4d

Disposals - proposed disposal of a plot to the front of 201 Buttercup Park, Darndale, Dublin 17

Report & map herewith.  Nicola Finegan

Minutes:

Order:  Agreed.

 

4e

Update on the Implementation of Proposed Active Travel Projects in the North Central Area - requested by Lord Mayor Alison Gilliland pdf icon PDF 747 KB

Report herewith.  Padraig O’Brien

Minutes:

Order:  Noted.  Cllrs. Cooney, Heney & O’ Muiri were very keen to ensure that a cycleway does not go into Hollybrook Road due to its narrowness & unsuitability to facilitate a cycleway.  Cllr. Heney requested that residents along the Finglas to Killester cycleway, be allowed to install driveways in their homes, without the requisite planning permission.  Precedent has already been successfully set for this along the Clontarf Seafront.  Cllr. O’Muirí also requested that engagement and full consultation with residents be done in relation to the same route.  Padraig O’Brien stated that all of the above will be examined.  Cllr. Lyons queried the capacity of staff resources available to DCC to progress these projects & what the timelines are for these projects.  Cllr. MacDonncha asked what could be achieved with some of the smaller funding streams.  Cllr. Batten queried whether the Santry Greenway would include a facility for crossing the M1.

 

Padraig O’Brien stated that projects are managed internally & we engage design consultants as the schemes develop.  Some of the smaller projects, we try to deliver in-house, but resources are stretched.  Bigger projects are outsourced to design consultants.  We do have approval to double the size of our team. We are reviewing all the projects currently but we are unable to give timelines on the projects until we reach full staffing capacity.  The smaller funding would deliver concept preliminary designs rather than anything tangible on the ground.  All projects are funded by the NTA.  Scoping to delivery is done in 7 stages.  With regards to the Santry Greenway and access across the M1, the current plans do not include a flyover to cross the M1.  This would be a very large undertaking which would have to be considered for the future.

 

Cllr. O’Farrell requested signage for the Marino “Local Access Only” to prevent the rat running in Marino as part of the C2CC scheme.  Padraig will refer this to the Project Team.  Cllr. Butler queried timeframes should we have a full complement of staff.  This is a dependent on the size and scale of the individual project.

 

Cllr Roe requested that Padraig O’Brien returns to either the June/July meeting to update the Councillors further.

 

4f

C2CC - Consultative Committee Nominations (3)

Minutes:

Order:  Recommend to City Council.  Cllr. John Lyons kindly stepped down from the Committee to facilitate the process.  All 6 Clontarf ward councillors (Cllrs. Stocker, O’Muirí, Horgan-Jones, Cooney, Heney & O’Farrell) expressed strong interest in becoming members of the C2CC Consultative Committee.  Ordinarily, the nomination would only be for 3 representatives.  However, it was agreed by Padraig O’Brien that all 6 Clontarf ward councillors could attend, on the basis that their collective input has merit given that the project has now commenced and also that it would be unlikely that all 6 councillors would be available to attend every meeting.

 

4g

Leasing/Licensing Issues - Philipsburgh Avenue, Fairview, Dublin 3.

Verbal report.   Ollie Hickey

Minutes:

Order:  Noted.  Members are keen to provide housing, but not if it negatively impacts on the highly utilised pitch & putt club or undermines the provision of childcare facilities in the area.  Ollie Hickey to circulate the map showing the lease to councillors.  In conjunction with Michelle Robinson from Housing, he is also to compile a briefing document for councillors, to include a history of the site & any third party communications from outside parties with DCC & Focus Ireland. 

 

4h

Arts Officer Report pdf icon PDF 263 KB

Report attached herewith.  Ray Yeates

Minutes:

Order:  Noted.  The membership warmly welcomed the report and commended the Arts & Creative Spaces team on their efforts in positively effecting the Arts strategy in the area.

4i

Sports & Wellbeing Partnership Report pdf icon PDF 489 KB

Report attached herewith.

Minutes:

Order:  Noted.  Report welcomed by the members.

4j

Area Housing Report pdf icon PDF 720 KB

Report for noting attached herewith.

Minutes:

Order:  Noted.  Councillor Lyons raised concerns in relation to the proposal to put 100 housing units at the underpass at Northside, which he feels is excessive & inappropriate for the site itself.  He requested a report on same.  He called for a more considered approach to the building of essential homes in the area so they’re built in the right setting & in tandem with the appropriate infrastructure & community & recreational space.  Cllr. Batten echoed these sentiments.  Derek Farrell to speak to Housing to get an update on this issue to councillors for the next meeting.  Lord Mayor Alison Gilliland also requested that an overview of the local community & recreational facilities in the area be done in parallel, as part of this update.

 

Cllr. Roe thanked Area Management for the recent walkabout conducted in the Belmayne Area, which highlighted issues in that area.

 

Cllr. D. Flanagan requested an update on the development on the Chanel Lands in Coolock.  Derek Farrell to request this update from the Planning Department in relation to this Respond development.  Lord Mayor Alison Gilliland stated that she would like an indication from Respond as to how they will manage & ensure the integration of tenants moving in so that there is social integration to form a cohesive community.

 

Cllr. Cooney stated that the Rapid Build on Bunratty Road is an excellent development & would like to see an official launch of the project, to display the high quality of the development.

 

Cllr. D. Flanagan wants a report regarding the Churchwell Gardens PPP site across from Clarehall regarding the unappealing aesthetics of the development.  Bernie Roe to contact James Nolan in this regard.

5.

Roads & Traffic Matters

5a

Minutes of the TAG meeting held on 22nd February, 2022 pdf icon PDF 171 KB

Reports attached herewith.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Order:  Noted.

5b

Gully cleaning report for noting pdf icon PDF 860 KB

Report herewith.

Minutes:

Order:  Noted.

6.

Motions

6a

Motion in the name of Councillor Damian O'Farrell

 

“Motion WITHDRAWN by Cllr O’Farrell”

 

Minutes:

 

“Motion WITHDRAWN by Cllr O’Farrell”

 

6b

Motion in the name of Lord Mayor Alison Gilliland

 

That this North Central Area Committee recognises the benefits of permeability across local areas as an effective means to supporting active mobility, reducing private car use and therefore decreasing our carbon footprint and increasing air quality. The Committee therefore requests that a scoping exercise be carried out on the suggested local permeability route between Santry Avenue and DCU attached. That a report be drafted on this scoping exercise within 6 months/September and presented to the North Central Area meeting for discussion with a view to its realisation.

 

Minutes:

 

That this North Central Area Committee recognises the benefits of permeability across local areas as an effective means to supporting active mobility, reducing private car use and therefore decreasing our carbon footprint and increasing air quality. The Committee therefore requests that a scoping exercise be carried out on the suggested local permeability route between Santry Avenue and DCU attached. That a report be drafted on this scoping exercise within 6 months/September and presented to the North Central Area meeting for discussion with a view to its realisation.

 

 

Reply:

 

There is currently no Neighbourhood Transport Scheme proposed for this area. 

A Neighbourhood Scheme is being proposed for the Marino Area as it ranked highly in the North Central Area. It is expected that this scheme can be implemented in 2022.

Following completion of the Marino scheme, we will consider other residential areas such as Santry for implementation of a scheme. 

 

Contact:         Andrew Geoghegan, Dublin Neighbourhood Engineer,

Email:             andrew.geoghegan@dublincity.ie

 

 

Order: Noted.  The Lord Mayor however, is looking for a written report on a scoping exercise to be carried out on a suggested permeability route (i.e., a walking/cycling route) between Santry Avenue and DCU   - she is not looking for a “Neighbourhood Transport Scheme”.  She wants DCC officials to walk the area and identify whether or not the route outlined in the map she provided is a viable route for the 15 minute city. 

6c

Motion in the name of Councillor John Lyons

 

That this North Central Area Committee believes community consultation in relation to the future use of the Spine site in Darndale is required and recommends the Community Representative Forum established on foot of the Nolan Report as the most appropriate forum for such consultation and discussion.

 

Minutes:

 

That this North Central Area Committee believes community consultation in relation to the future use of the Spine site in Darndale is required and recommends the Community Representative Forum established on foot of the Nolan Report as the most appropriate forum for such consultation and discussion.

 

Reply:

 

The area office agrees that it will bring plans for the Spine site in stages to the recently formed Darndale Community Consultative Forum for consultation and to seek their feedback.

 

Contact:          Derek Farrell, Local Area Manager for Artane - Whitehall LEA

Tel:                  222 8546

Email:             derek.farrell@dublincity.ie

 

 

Order:  Agreed.

6d

Motion in the name of Councillor John Lyons

 

That this North Central Area Committee acknowledges  the lack of accessible community, recreational and sports places and spaces in the Kilmore West area, this area committee believes the city council is best placed to approach other local stakeholders who have such places and spaces to see if they can be opened up for a variety of community uses.

 

Minutes:

 

That this North Central Area Committee acknowledges  the lack of accessible community, recreational and sports places and spaces in the Kilmore West area, this area committee believes the city council is best placed to approach other local stakeholders who have such places and spaces to see if they can be opened up for a variety of community uses.

 

 

Reply:

 

The DCSWP Sports Officers have access to the Kilmore Recreation centre for community sporting and physical activity initiatives offered to the Kilmore West community. The local primary schools avail of the sports hall also. Currently Scoil Fhursa avail of the hall on Tuesdays and Scoil Íde GNS avail of the sports hall on Thursdays for their PE programmes.

We also engage with the Kilmore West Youth project on sporting opportunities which are also delivered in the Kilmore Recreation centre hall.

Pre covid-19 I would have had access to St Luke’s hall for a Yoga and mindfulness programme.

 

Contact:         Fergal Scally, Sports Officer

Tel:                 222 8559

Email:             fergal.scall@dublincity.ie

 

The Sports & Recreation section of Dublin City Council manages an active programme of accessible community, recreational and sporting events in the Kilmore West Recreation Centre, the Coolock Swimming pool in Northside Shopping Centre and through the activities of our Sports Development Officers. Sports & Recreation are happy to discuss with other sections etc opportunities for additional appropriate community engagements.

 

Contact:         Donncha Ó Dúlaing, Senior Executive Officer

Tel:                 222 3877

Email:             donncha.odulaing@dublincity.ie

 

Order:  Agreed.

6e

Motion in the name of Councillor John Lyons

 

That this North Central Area Committee is aware of the inconsistent views of the local area office over recent years regarding the provision of a new playground for the children of Kilmore West, stating in a response rejecting my February 2017 motion calling for such a facility that 'there are already 4 playgrounds adjacent to the area'  to a recent admission in June 2021 that 'the area is not well served with playgrounds' and given the consistent support that this area committee's councillors have provided to the proposal, this area committee once again calls for the provision of new play facilities for the children of Kilmore West. 

 

Minutes:

 

That this North Central Area Committee is aware of the inconsistent views of the local area office over recent years regarding the provision of a new playground for the children of Kilmore West, stating in a response rejecting my February 2017 motion calling for such a facility that 'there are already 4 playgrounds adjacent to the area'  to a recent admission in June 2021 that 'the area is not well served with playgrounds' and given the consistent support that this area committee's councillors have provided to the proposal, this area committee once again calls for the provision of new play facilities for the children of Kilmore West.

 

 

Reply:

 

The area is served by playgrounds at Santry Demesne, Ellenfield Park, Stardust Park and Bunratty Road and by 4 play lots at Cromcastle. The majority of residences in the area are within 20-25 minutes’ walk of one of these playgrounds.  While there is not a playground located in the immediate vicinity the area was not identified as an area of deficit in recent assessments and would be considered lower priority for the delivery of a new playground at this time. The priority with regard to play facilities in the North Central area remains to bring existing playgrounds up to modern standards with regard safety and accessibility and to address areas of recognised deficit of play facilities.

 

 

Contact:          Fergus O’Carroll, Senior Executive Parks Superintendent

Tel:                  222 6625

Email:              parks@dublincity.ie

 

Order:  Agreed.  Cllr. Lyons was unhappy with the response and stated that the young people of Kilmore West are deserving of a playground. This was supported by Cllr. Cooney who stated funding should be sought from the Department for this.  Cllr. Batten & MacDonncha & Roe also reiterated Cllr. Lyons sentiments & supported the motion.  Derek Farrell will look at possible sites in conjunction with the Parks Department but funding is an issue and will need to be sought, possibly from next year’s discretionary budget to help get it over the line.  Cllrs. Batten & Roe were keen to have possible sites identified as a priority, as without appropriate sites, funding would not be of any benefit.

6f

Motion in the name of Councillor Deirdre Heney

 

That this North Central Area Committee calls for a detailed breakdown of maintenance works carried out over the last five to ten years by Dublin City Council on Killester Graveyard and that preservation/upgrade works on the graveyard now be initiated (as previously requested by me) as same is now long overdue and that interested local community members, (who previously engaged with the Parks Dept) and others, be included/consulted on how best to achieve the desired result for this graveyard, the care and maintenance of  which seems to have been abandoned by the City.

 

 

 

Minutes:

 

That this North Central Area Committee calls for a detailed breakdown of maintenance works carried out over the last five to ten years by Dublin City Council on Killester Graveyard and that preservation/upgrade works on the graveyard now be initiated (as previously requested by me) as same is now long overdue and that interested local community members, (who previously engaged with the Parks Dept) and others, be included/consulted on how best to achieve the desired result for this graveyard, the care and maintenance of  which seems to have been abandoned by the City.

 

 

Reply:

 

 

This cemetery is not abandoned but is maintained by contract receiving 4 maintenance visits a year to strim back overgrowth and remove litter.  The ground in this cemetery is very uneven, with many sunken areas and not is suitable for regular mowing.  The area has enormous biodiversity value and potential but is currently unsuitable for general access due to the uneven ground.

 

The Parks Service is happy to meet the interested local community members to discuss what would be considered the desired level of maintenance and access and what is feasible in a conservation context. 

 

Following on from this meeting any outcome will be brought to DCC’s Conservation Monument Fund team to ascertain what improvements might be suitable for funding under a future CMF application.

 

Contact:         Fergus O’Carroll, Senior Executive Parks Superintendent

Tel:                 222 6625

Email:             parks@dublincity.ie

 

 

Order:  Agreed.

6g

Motion in the name of Councillor Deirdre Heney

 

Motion WITHDRAWN by Cllr. Heney

 

 

Minutes:

 

“Motion withdrawn by Cllr. Heney”

6h

Motion in the name of Councillor Catherine Stocker, Councillor Damian O'Farrell, Councillor Jane Horgan Jones, Councillor Naoise O'Muiri, Councillor Deirdre Heney & Councillor Donna Cooney

 

That this area committee supports the All Hallows Area Association in their call for a comprehensive tree maintenance plan for Griffith Avenue including a timeline for replacement of the trees felled in August 2021 and an additional 40 trees estimated to have been lost for a variety of reasons over the past years. Griffith Avenue, as the longest tree lined avenue with no retail outlets holds a unique place in the heart of Dubliners and it is vital that its character and beauty are preserved. We ask the manager to engage with the AHAA and other local community associations to develop a detailed plan for future planting.

 

Minutes:

That this area committee supports the All Hallows Area Association in their call for a comprehensive tree maintenance plan for Griffith Avenue including a timeline for replacement of the trees felled in August 2021 and an additional 40 trees estimated to have been lost for a variety of reasons over the past years. Griffith Avenue, as the longest tree lined avenue with no retail outlets holds a unique place in the heart of Dubliners and it is vital that its character and beauty are preserved. We ask the manager to engage with the AHAA and other local community associations to develop a detailed plan for future planting.

 

Reply:

 

To commence the replacement programme the planting of 20 number London Plane at roadside locations commenced last week.  This is in keeping with the objectives previously stated to preserve the integrity of the boulevard by planting mainly London Plane next to the road with certain flexibilities as to species choice on the inner line next to people’s properties.  To date only a small number of residents have been in touch to declare a preference.  The contractor planting the trees will and has engaged with householders also assess further planting opportunities on the inner verges.

 

It is envisaged that a further 10-20 trees will be planted in the coming weeks arising from this engagement and assessment process.

 

The Parks Service has been in communication with the AHAA and received their document outlining the location of gaps in the boulevard.  These gaps will be assessed over the coming months and any deemed suitable for planting will be included in this autumn’s planting programme.

 

 

Contact:         Fergus O’Carroll, Senior Executive Parks Superintendent

Tel:                 222 6625

Email:             parks@dublincity.ie

 

Order:  Agreed.

 

 

 

6i

Motion in the name of Councillor Naoise O'Muiri

 

That this area committee requests that representatives of EirGrid attend an upcoming meeting of the North Central Area Committee to provide a detailed presentation on power outages in the North Central area and answer questions on this matter.

 

 

Minutes:

 

 

That this area committee requests that representatives of EirGrid attend an upcoming meeting of the North Central Area Committee to provide a detailed presentation on power outages in the North Central area and answer questions on this matter.

 

Reply:

 

If agreed by the committee members, the Area Manager for Dublin North ESB Networks will prepare a report and give a presentation at the May meeting. In advance of that input if councillors could reference their main areas of concern that would enable him to collate the information that’s most relevant.

 

Contact:         Bernie Roe, Local Area Manager for Clontarf – Donaghmede LEA

Tel:                 222 8846

Email:            bernie.roe@dublincity.ie

 

Order:  Agreed.

6j

Motion in the name of Councillor Naoise O'Muiri

 

That this Area Committee reaffirms the policy that all public carparks on the Clontarf seafront are “short-stay” carparks managed with a view to users enjoying the Promenade and other local amenities, Requests that DCC Traffic confirm that this policy is still in force & If it is not still in force, requests that DCC Traffic confirm when the policy was changed, who made the change and on what basis.

 

 

Minutes:

 

That this Area Committee Reaffirms the policy that all public carparks on the Clontarf seafront are “short-stay” carparks managed with a view to users enjoying the Promenade and other local amenities, Requests that DCC Traffic confirm that this policy is still in force & If it is not still in force, requests that DCC Traffic confirm when the policy was changed, who made the change and on what basis.

 

Reply:

 

There is currently pay and display paid parking between the hours of 11am to 6pm Monday to Friday in these car parks. During these hours there is a maximum stay of 3 hours. Outside of 11am -6pm Monday to Friday parking there is not enforceable. There has been no recent change to this policy.

 

Contact:         Dermot Stevenson, Parking Enforcement Officer.

Tel:                  222 2017

Email:             dermot.stevenson@dublincity.ie

 

Order:  Agreed.  Cllr. O’Muirí has requested an update on the above as there is signage up contradicting the reply.  He is seeking clarity as to whether or not the signage refers to a private car park.  Bernie Roe to liaise with Dermot Stevenson in this regard.

7.

A.O.B

Minutes:

Cllr. Lyons raised the issue of the timings of the Edenmore and Donaghmede Safety Forums, stating that it is often difficult to get to the meetings at 11 am and would prefer evening meetings to facilitate as many elected members as possible to attend.  Bernie Roe stated that this was to facilitate residents who had expressed an interest in the meetings happening after 10 am mass & that she is trying to balance the needs of all stake holders.  However, the timings can be revisited again if they’re not working.  Councillor Lyons was happy with this response.

 

Cllr. Cooney queried the installation of the 5G mast in St. Anne’s Park.  Do Parks need to give permission for this and should it not have to come before the council members for their approval?  Have Parks been contacted in this regard.  Fergus O’Carroll confirmed that Parks have been contacted and that they are working to minimise the visual impact on the aesthetics of the park whilst addressing the need for service provision in the area.  Cllr. Cooney would like to understand the mechanism to facilitate this installation, should this issue arise again.  Director of Services Mr. Derek Kelly will arrange for an update from our Telecommunications Unit on this issue to be circulated to members and also for a briefing on Section 254 Licence Telecommunication applications, which don’t have go through council.

 

Cllr. Roe reminded the membership to submit a detailed description on any items they would like to see at further meetings, by email to the area office as agreed at the October 2021 meeting.