{meta} Agenda for North Central Area Committee on Monday 17th January, 2022, 2.00 pm

Agenda and minutes

Venue: BY REMOTE VIDEO CONFERENCING VIA - ZOOM. View directions

Contact: Fiona Moore 

Items
No. Item

1.

Minutes of the North Central Area Committee Meeting dated 13th December, 2021. pdf icon PDF 857 KB

Attached herewith.

Minutes:

Order:  Agreed.  Councillor MacDonncha queried why “Items for following meetings” no longer appears on the agenda or minutes. He was reminded by the Chair that it had been agreed by the members at the September meeting that going forward, “Items for following meetings” would be emailed to the Area Office by the Friday immediately following the meeting and would be dealt with in that way.  However, Councillor Roe agreed that any items received by admin would be tagged to the minutes for transparency.

 

2.

Questions to the Area Manager 17th January, 2022. pdf icon PDF 960 KB

Attached herewith.

Minutes:

Order:  Noted.

3.

Area Matters

3a

Proposed grant of lease of the premises 55 Gracefield Road, Artane, Dublin 5 to Tús Nua Artane Coolock Family Resource Centre Company CLG pdf icon PDF 133 KB

Report & map attached herewith.  Nicola Finegan

Additional documents:

Minutes:

 

Order:  Agreed.   Recommend to City Council.

3b

Proposed grant of a lease in respect of Retail Unit 2, New Priory, Hole in the Wall Road, Dublin 13. pdf icon PDF 134 KB

Report & map attached herewith.  Nicola Finegan

Additional documents:

Minutes:

 

Order:  Agreed.   Recommend to City Council.

 

3c

Proposed disposal of a plot to the rear of No. 7 Croydon Park Avenue, Marino, Dublin 3.

Report & map attached herewith.  Nicola Finegan

 

Minutes:

 

Order:  Agreed.   Recommend to City Council.

 

3d

Proposed disposal of a plot to the rear of No. 9 Croydon Green, Marino, Dublin 3.

Report & map attached herewith.  Nicola Finegan

 

Minutes:

 

Order:  Agreed.   Recommend to City Council.

 

3e

Sports & Wellbeing Partnership Report pdf icon PDF 609 KB

Report herewith.  Dee O’Boyle

Minutes:

Order:  Noted.  Councillor Heney lauded the great work of the Sports and Wellbeing Partnership in relation to women in sport.  She is delighted with the GAGA (Get All Girls Active) programme in St. Mary’s Holy Faith and St. Brigid G.N.S. Killester.  It is very positive for girls and women in sport and it is very welcome.

 

Councillor Cooney requested an update on the resumption of the tuition of cycling for women classes in the East Wall Area. 

 

3f

Arts Officer - Ray Yeates pdf icon PDF 24 KB

Report herewith.  Ray Yeates

Minutes:

Order:  Noted.  Ray Yeates delivered an update Arts Report which was warmly welcomed by the members. 

 

He corrected his report to reflect a changed date for a networking meeting for all involved in the projects mentioned in his report.  This is scheduled for January 27th (not 20th as stated in his report) on Zoom.  It aims to further opportunities to build a network to support more research & to start building momentum around an Arts Strategy for the North Central Area.  Everyone is welcome to attend this meeting.

 

Lord Mayor Alison Gilliland stated there is a lot of dereliction in Artane Place and queried how to access the capital funding stream to potentially expand and deliver on actual physical space for artists in the North Central Area. She also asked if the research would be finished in time to inform the development plan and to copper fasten the need for a dedicated creative space in the plan.  Would this work feed into increasing awareness for local artists on the ground & address the geographical imbalance in local community grants?

 

Capital funding is gleaned from different sources including Dublin City Council, the Department and the Urban Regional Development Fund 3.  Ray Yeates stated it is also worth noting that the Artane Place site is not owned by Dublin City Council, so any proposal there would have to be carefully negotiated with the owner. For example, funding has been made available from the Culture & Recreation Department to support these artistic spaces, facilitating the reduction of rent to an affordable level for artists – research shows that €200 pm is what artists generally can afford for a studio.  No commercial operator would supply that space for such a reduced rent but because it was negotiated with Xestra, they agreed to cut their rates by 50% and with some help from the council, affordable rent has been achieved.  Capital monies could be spent in the NCA for artistic purposes, but this is a lengthy process.

 

Turley Research have already completed considerable research on the infrastructure of Dublin and it is hoped that this will lead to an Arts Infrastructure policy which could be debated at the Arts SPC.  Regular community spaces aren’t always suitable for the Arts and there is deficit of a proper Arts Infrastructure policy to deliver apt bespoke places for the Arts.

 

With regards to addressing the imbalance of grants and the opening up of funding opportunities to artists on the ground, putting a professional application together is often a barrier to groups applying for funding.  Creative Places should be trying to leave a legacy of supporting artists, whereby community arts groups are empowered and feel confident to apply to the Arts Council or Dublin City Council for arts funding.  Lord Mayor Alison Gilliland suggested could the Arts Office possibly have a grant writer, similar to Angela Schafer from the Northside Partnership, or deliver a zoom webinar on grant form filling.  Ray Yeates said that yes they do run workshops every  ...  view the full minutes text for item 3f

3g

Part 8 - Tea rooms Fairview Park pdf icon PDF 373 KB

Report herewith.  Máire Igoe

 

Minutes:

Order:  Noted. 

 

Councillor Cooney queried if there are any changes to the Part 8 and if there is any issue around funding?  She is keen to prevent any further mishaps delaying the implementation of this project.  Councillor Heney asked when in 2022 will the Part 8 be brought before the NCAC.

 

Councillor Lyons queried if there was any way we could shorten or expedite the process? Councillor O’Muirí looked for confirmation that it is the same Part 8 that will be resubmitted?

 

Máire Igoe apologised to the members for the Part 8 lapse & reaffirmed that additional controls have been put in place, so that this cannot happen again.  There are no major issues, nor has there been any changes to the Part 8 that she is aware of.  Regrettably there is no manoeuvre room for shortening the process.  It is a statutory process and has to play out accordingly.  In relation to the timeline, she stated that it is down to the proposing Department, but having spoken to Les Moore, he stated that it should be done in plenty of time for the opening of the cycleway.

As it has already gone before the NCAC it does not need to go before the committee again, but will go directly from the proposing Department to Planning.

 

Karl Mitchell stated that the area office will follow up with the Parks Department to get this moving again.

 

Councillors Stocker & Heney requested that the area office email a timeline and to advise the members at the next NCAC where it’s at.

 

4.

Roads & Traffic Issues

4a

Minutes of the TAG meeting dated 16th December, 2021 pdf icon PDF 70 KB

Reports attached herewith.  Rhona White

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Order:  Agreed.

 

The members welcomed Senior Executive Engineer Rhona White & Area Engineer, Catalin Rosca.  Rhona has replaced Eoin Corrigan on the Transport Advisory Group.

 

Councillor O’Muirí expressed concern that the Richmond Road project is at a critical juncture in its progress and Eoin Corrigan was part of that.  Given his departure and the key part he played, Councillor O’Muirí is anxious the momentum on this project is not lost.  Manager Bernie Roe reassured the members that this transition is being managed.  A meeting took place before Christmas with the manager, residents and Eoin Corrigan, to clarify residents’ issues.  Deirdre Murphy is project managing this project in the area office and has already made contact with Rhona White regarding the furthering of actions.   Bernie will also personally follow up on this.  Rhona is very aware of the work that Eoin & Catalin have done in the area and she will also progress this work in conjunction with the area office.

 

Councillor Roe drew the members attention to the SHD proposed for Richmond Road and the fact that a local area plan for this area was promised 20 years ago and still hasn’t been delivered and yet building continues.

 

Councillor Heney raised the issue of Neighbourhood Schemes again specifically with regards to Killester Avenue, the speeding on which is of serious concern to her.  She queried if Rhona White will be responsible for neighbourhood schemes.  These fall under another department, but Rhona will follow up.

 

Councillor Cooney requested that the outcome of the speeding survey carried out in the North Central Area in December, the results of which were promised to the members for January, be given to members.  Rhona White stated that they are currently collating and assessing the information, with a number of reports still outstanding. An exercise to prioritise the works will be carried out and she will update the members in due course.

 

Councillor Cooney also queried the timeline for implementation of the Mount Prospect pedestrian crossing.  Rhona White explained the process and will follow up on the progression of the Mount Prospect pedestrian crossing specifically and will revert back to the councillor directly.  Lord Mayor Gilliland requested that an “expectation of completion” column be added to the status reports for clarity.

 

Councillor Roe requested that the body of work to streamline duplications in the TAG list be undertaken.  Manager Karl Mitchell echoed this and stated that this would be an opportune time for Rhona/Catalin and the team to implement this work to get a system that is more user friendly.

 

Councillor Cooney requested that Rhona White attend a meeting regarding Vernon Avenue.  Rhona will be happy to attend.

 

 

5.

Motions

5a

Motion in the name of Councillor Deirdre Heney

 

That the manager give an update on the proposals and previous commitments to provide a playground facilities in McAuley Park, Artane, as youngsters in the area are in need of and deserve a play facility.

 

Minutes:

That the manager give an update on the proposals and previous commitments to provide a playground facilities in McAuley Park, Artane, as youngsters in the area are in need of and deserve a play facility.

 

Reply:

 

The multi-annual programme of playground upgrades presented to the area committee in 2019 identified Belcamp Playground as the priority for 2022.  Certain discussions were held with residents group and local councillors and it is felt that a small play-lot in McAuley Park could be delivered in 2022 but this would require a significant contribution from the discretionary fund.

 

 

Contact:         Fergus O'Carroll,

Senior Executive Parks Superintendent, North City Parks District.

Tel:                222 2265

Email:             parks@dublincity.ie

 

 

Order:  Agreed. 

 

Councillor Heney queried how much match funding would be required to deliver the small play-lot in McAuley Park. The Parks services will require matching funding from the Area Office in the order of 60,000 euros to implement the above.

 

Councillor Lyons queried if the proposal to have a small play lot in McAuley Park would deem that their playground need is met?  He referenced the Playground Audit from 2017 that identified 3 areas for play grounds for parks but only one has been delivered. Fergus O’Carroll stated that the priority for the Parks Department is that existing playgrounds are brought up to modern safety standards.  There is only a finite amount of money and delivering new playgrounds at the expense of the upgrading programme of existing playgrounds would not be a good spend of public money.  It was agreed with residents on site in McAuley Park that the provision of a small play-lot for younger children is their priority to be delivered and that further spaces for older children would be delivered incrementally.

 

Councillors MacDonncha and Stocker queried the procedure and time line for submissions to the 2022 Discretionary Fund.  Manager Derek Farrell confirmed that the area office will examine the funding required for the area & will then email the members seeking their suggestions for the discretionary fund with a view to having a meeting mid-way through February.  At that juncture it is hoped that both Parks and Roads will have their works programmes finalised and the meeting will encompass all. 

 

Councillor Brabazon asked could a report be done on what has been spent and what commitments are outstanding from the 2021 allocation.  A presentation & report detailing what was spent in the 2021 Discretionary fund and Covid spend will be delivered at the February NCAC.

 

Manager Karl Mitchell stated that the discretionary process would be strategic this year, instead of having a wish list that quadrupled the discretionary budget and wasn’t feasible to deliver on.  There is a finite amount of money 810,000 & the area office will examine the works programmes of other central departments to see where leverage funding might be appropriate with the discretionary fund.  The collective membership will agree a fair split across the area, so that it’s not replicating the core works of central departments, to get an even balance across the North  ...  view the full minutes text for item 5a

5b

Motion in the name of Councillor Deirdre Heney

 

That the manager, in relation to the condition in which the public domain/plaza opposite Northside Civic Centre, Bunratty Road was destroyed by the burning of waste, say what exactly he understands to have happened, if it has happened previously and what measures he can take to bring about a cessation to such awful destructive behaviour that has led to the damage of this public space and if he can made a statement on the matter. The attached photos show the state of the plaza facing the civic offices at Bunratty Road in the run up to Christmas 2021. 

 

Minutes:

That the manager, in relation to the condition in which the public domain/plaza opposite Northside Civic Centre, Bunratty Road was destroyed by the burning of waste, say what exactly he understands to have happened, if it has happened previously and what measures he can take to bring about a cessation to such awful destructive behaviour that has led to the damage of this public space and if he can made a statement on the matter. The attached photos show the state of the plaza facing the civic offices at Bunratty Road in the run up to Christmas 2021. 

 

Reply:

 

Waste Management Services cleaned this location on Thursday 6th January 2022.

 

Contact:         Mick Boyle, Senior Staff Officer

Tel:                  222 4240

Email:             mick.boyle@dublincity.ie

 

Over the Christmas period, a gang of youths took eleven bins from outside local resident’s houses, brought them to the plaza and set them on fire. Waste Management have since cleaned up the burnt remains of this anti-social behaviour.

 

The Darndale Housing Office has been liaising with the Gardaí on this issue for a number of months now. Prior to Christmas the area office sought prices to remove the vegetation from the planters on this plaza due to continued anti-social behaviour and drug dealing that has been reported to the office. The area office will also be meeting with Housing Architects next week to discuss the re-design of this plaza to counter the aforementioned anti-social behaviour etc. The planters and high vegetation give these gangs cover when they are dealing drugs and generally causing damage to the plaza. The Gardaí are in agreement with this measure and we will continue to liaise with them in order to solve this ongoing problem.

 

 

Contact:         Derek Farrell, Acting Local Area Manager Artane/Whitehall LEA

Tel:                 222 8546

Email:             derek.farrell@dublincity.ie

 

 

Order:  Agreed.  The work of the Manager, the Darndale Housing Office & the Waste Management Section was commended by the members.

 

 

5c

Motion in the name of Councillor Damian O'Farrell

 

That this North Central Committee calls on DCC to ensure that Licence application details are made easily available to members of the public so that they can participate in the public consultation process?  For example, it is not possible to look up Outdoor Event or Telecomms applications on the DCC website.  An information system, similar to that used for Planning Applications be put in place please. 

 

Minutes:

That this North Central Committee calls on DCC to ensure that Licence application details are made easily available to members of the public so that they can participate in the public consultation process?  For example, it is not possible to look up Outdoor Event or Telecomms applications on the DCC website.  An information system, similar to that used for Planning Applications be put in place please. 

 

Reply:

 

Telecom companies apply to carry out road works using the national Map Road Licencing system (MRL) which was organised by the Local Government Management Agency (LGMA) and operated by the Road Management Office (RMO). Users have to register to operate the system and it is not available to members of the public.

 

Contact:         Conrad Rennicks, Roadworks Control Unit

Email:             conrad.rennicks@dublincity.ie

 

Telecommunications Section 254 licence applications are administered by The Environment and Transport Department and follow a different process to that of planning applications. However, arrangements are being made between Road Maintenance Services (RMS) and Planning registry to provide section 254 details of Telecommunications infrastructure applications on the Dublin City Council APAS system.  A review is being undertaken as to whether this information is available to the public on the Dublin City Council website. Details of applications are provided to the public on request by RMS via e-mail (roadmaintenance@dublincity.ie) or by post.

 

Contact:           Deri Flood, SEE. IMU, RMS     

Tel:                086 3883986              

Email:             deri.flood@dublincity.ie

 

In the case of Outdoor Event applications the regulations require that “The local authority shall make the application, any accompanying documents, maps and drawings and any submission or observation made in relation to it, available for inspection during office hours at the offices of the local authority and such other places as it considers appropriate, for a period of 3 weeks from the date of receipt of the application”

 

Currently a summary notification of Outdoor Event licence applications is uploaded onto the Council’s website by Planning Enforcement and Outdoor Event Licence Section. This notification outlines where the application can be inspected and outlines the contact details from Dublin City Council to which submissions/observations can be made. Outdoor event licence applications accompanied by copies of any submissions/observations are made available for inspection at the planning counter in line with the statutory regulations and timeframes.

 

In light of this motion consideration will be given to how Outdoor Event applications can be made more accessible to the public.

 

Contact:         Graham Kiersey, Planning Enforcement and Outdoor Event Licence Section

Tel:                 222 3699

Email:             graham.kiersey@dublincity.ie

 

 

In relation to Councillor O’Farrell’s original question on Telecommunications Section 254 licence applications, the reply states that “A review is being undertaken as to whether this information is available to the public on the Dublin City Council website”.  The Councillor would like to know who is undertaking this review, will the public and councillors be able to participate and contribute to it?  He also welcomes the following statement in relation to outdoor events and wants it progressed. “In light of this motion consideration will be given to  ...  view the full minutes text for item 5c

5d

Motion in the name of Councillor Damian O'Farrell

 

That this area committee agrees that Dublin City Council provides stand-alone public toilets as previously requested by Councillors. These public toilets to be of a similar standard as those provided by Fingal County Council. 

 

 

Minutes:

That this area committee agrees that Dublin City Council provides stand-alone public toilets as previously requested by Councillors. These public toilets to be of a similar standard as those provided by Fingal County Council. 

 

Reply:

 

The provision of retail units with integrated toilet facilities is a solution that has been communicated, discussed and agreed with Councillors for over a year.

 

The advantages of this model over the simple provision of public toilets are as follows:

-       The provision in association with retail units allows for passive supervision of users from a safety perspective.

-       The provision managed this way also allows for immediate intervention if cleanliness or vandalism issues arise.

-       The provision using this model provides for a much higher standard of toilet provision. One of the key lessons learned during the pandemic was that people were significantly more likely to use public toilets when the quality was higher.

-       The economic model also removes all revenue and capital cost of provision from Dublin City Council.

-       The model provides additional benefits in that it also services the refreshment needs of users of the public realm.

 

It is accepted that there are objections to this model from a small number of people, including other businesses who feel that this is competition, but on balance Dublin City Council feels that this model is correct for us.

 

Contact:         Coilin O’Reilly – Assistant Chief Executive, Housing and Community Services

Email:             coilin.oreilly@dublincity.ie

 

 

Order:  Agreed.

 

Councillor O’Farrell stated that he wasn’t happy with the lack of delivery of public toilets.  He said he never voted on this and wants stand-alone toilets rather than toilets attached to a kiosk.  Is there any data on it?  Has there been a “before and after” survey on the subject?  Where are the promised toilets located?

 

Manager Karl Mitchell stated that the city recovery met with all councillors in this regard and opted for this model as best practice – toilets attached to a kiosk, providing security & passive supervision of the toilets, including cleanliness and maintenance of the facility.  He said other options could be looked at going forward.

 

Councillor Heney queried when the public toilets will be delivered into St. Anne’s Park. Councillor Stocker stated that public toilets in whatever guise, are just not being delivered. She is looking for toilets to be delivered now, whether they are standalone or attached to a kiosk. Fergus O’Carroll stated that there is a kiosk with accompanying toilet in Fairview Park operating on a part time basis at the moment, but it will be moving to a 7 day operation as part of its licence.

 

Councillor Cooney requested that eco toilets be provided.

 

Councillor Heney requested that Fergus O’Carroll compile a list of time expected dates for when coffee dock associated toilets (or toilets generally) will be delivered in Parks and a list for the North Central Area generally for the next meeting.  Manager Karl Mitchell stated that the area office would give a list of promised toilets and would liaise  ...  view the full minutes text for item 5d

5e

Motion in the name of Councillor Donna Cooney

 

That this North Central Area Committee support measures to prevent illegal parking on the grass by vehicles at Alfie Byrne road, the grass is being destroyed and this is in the buffer zone of the SPA and habitat for Brent geese grazing, that the Gardaí be requested to intervene and physical measures, seating sculptures be placed to protect the area.

 

Minutes:

That this North Central Area Committee support measures to prevent illegal parking on the grass by vehicles at Alfie Byrne road, the grass is being destroyed and this is in the buffer zone of the SPA and habitat for Brent geese grazing, that the Gardaí be requested to intervene and physical measures, seating sculptures be placed to protect the area.

 

 

Reply:

 

This appears to be parking associated with the motocross facility.  The site will be examined with a view to ascertaining if this usage can be contained to the area nearest the entrance through bollards of similar.  The cycle track along this section of Alfie Byrne Road does appear to limit this undesirable activity to a small area.

 

Contact:        Fergus O'Carroll, Senior Executive Parks Superintendent, North City Parks District.

Tel:                222 2265

Email:             parks@dublincity.ie

 

 

Order:  Agreed.

Councillor Cooney requested that the area office write to Clontarf Gardaí on behalf of the members, bringing this illegal parking to their attention.

 

5f

Motion in the name of Councillor Donna Cooney

 

That this area committee revisits the issue again of safe access to Bull Island over the wooden bridge due to traffic jams and huge tailbacks needing Garda intervention over Christmas/New year and that solutions be implemented including to limit the number of cars accessing the island, by provided barriers, counting vehicle crossing, wardens at entrance, or other measures that prevent more cars than can be facilitated entering, whilst allowing those with disability permits or island residents to access and those using active transport safely.

 

Minutes:

That this area committee revisits the issue again of safe access to Bull Island over the wooden bridge due to traffic jams and huge tailbacks needing Garda intervention over Christmas/New year and that solutions be implemented including to limit the number of cars accessing the island, by provided barriers, counting vehicle crossing, wardens at entrance, or other measures that prevent more cars than can be facilitated entering, whilst allowing those with disability permits or island residents to access and those using active transport safely.

 

Reply:

 

Such initiatives to limit the number of visitors to the island were looked at previously and considered impractical to implement. The complaints received related to difficulties exiting the bull wall over the wooden bridge at peak times such as Christmas. The wooden bridge which is the property of Dublin Port Company only allows traffic one way at a time limiting the number of cars that can leave the island during each light change.  As one complainant advised, if the visitors obeyed the signage the situation would be a lot less fractious and traffic would flow more freely. 

As the Councillor is aware through the Nature Reserve Oversight Forum, a traffic engineering consultant was engaged late last year to consult with stakeholders such as residents, sea-scouts and golf course members to consider the traffic and car parking issues and emergency access.  When the consultants deliberations are available they will be discussed at the Oversight Forum and a final report can be presented to the Area Committee.

 

Contact:         Fergus O'Carroll,

Senior Executive Parks Superintendent, North City Parks District.

Tel:                222 2265

Email:             parks@dublincity.ie

 

 

Order:  Deferred – Subject to the delivery of the report and review of the Oversight Forum.

 

Councillor Larry O’Toole proposed as a show of support for the families of the Stardust victims, that the committee write to the Minister requesting clarification on when she will have venue for the Stardust inquest.  Councillor Brabazon stated he had a legal interest and so would abstain.  Members agreed.

 

The Lord Mayor wished Manager Karl Mitchell all the very best on behalf of the Committee for his new role and thanked him for the work his has done to date.  Councillor Heney stated that she would be keen that the manager’s replacement would bring the same commitment and enthusiasm to the Clontarf Flood Defences.  She also stated she was delighted that Deputy Chief Executive Kathy Quinn attended the NCAC and looks forward to meeting more of her counterparts at future meetings.  Manager Karl Mitchell echoed these sentiments and said that both Kathy Quinn and Deputy Chief Executive Richard Shakespeare were both in attendance. He also stated that he would work closely with the new manager, Mr. Derek Kelly with regards to the Clontarf Flood Defences. 

6.

AOB

Minutes:

AOB

Councillor Larry O’Toole proposed that as a show of support for the families of the Stardust victims, the committee would write to the Minister requesting clarification on when she will have a venue for the Stardust inquest.  Councillor Brabazon stated he had a legal interest and so would abstain.  All other members agreed.

 

The Lord Mayor wished Manager Karl Mitchell all the very best on behalf of the Committee in his new role and thanked him for the work he has done to date.  Councillor Heney stated that she would be keen that the manager’s replacement would bring the same commitment and enthusiasm to the Clontarf Flood Defences.  She also stated she was delighted that Deputy Chief Executive Kathy Quinn attended the NCAC and looks forward to meeting more of her counterparts at future meetings.  Manager Karl Mitchell echoed these sentiments and said that both Kathy Quinn and Deputy Chief Executive Richard Shakespeare were in attendance. He also stated that he would work closely with the new manager, Mr. Derek Kelly with regards to the Clontarf Flood Defences. 

 

7.

Items for following meetings

Minutes:

·         Events licensing – requested by Cllr O’Farrell – February agenda

 

·         Update on timelines for local cycling infrastructure – requested by Lord Mayor Alison Gilliland – will be presented by Chris Manzira at the March meeting